Caramelization in Small Boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizooBrew

Reaction score
I've only been brewing for a few months, but have made some beers that I was quite happy with. I have begun to realize, however, that all of my beers have a similar character, regardless of hops, yeast, and specialty grains used. I have been using LME, and I have come to the tentative conclusion that perhaps that character is the result of excessive caramelization of my extract during the boil. I have generally been doing boils of 3 to 4.5 gallons, as I don't have a full-size brew kettle. Does this makes sense as the potential culprit for the character I have had in my beers? Is there a way to minimize this without purchasing a full-size brew kettle? I of course ultimately want to get one, but just don't have the money right now. Thanks all! :mug:

My extract beers also suffered from that "twang". I think my problem was fermentation temperature related. Increased yeast pitching rates and temperature control solved that problem.
True caramelization of sugars only happens above 300 degrees with very little water present. You may be experiencing Maillard reactions, the darkening of the wort from heat. It is similar to what happens when you make toast or cook a steak. Many experts now suggest adding up to half of the malt extracts toward the end of the boil to help limit these reactions.

You may be experiencing Maillard reactions, the darkening of the wort from heat. It is similar to what happens when you make toast or cook a steak. Many experts now suggest adding up to half of the malt extracts toward the end of the boil to help limit these reactions.

I will give this a try on my next brew! This sounds like it might be a promising way to lighten the appearance of my beers that are supposed to be lighter and to limit the flavor that I have attributed to this.
In reponse, I do not know exactly how to describe the flavor that has appeared in many of my brews... But I have been making sufficient yeast starters and having some degree on temp control.
On another note, does boil time affect the fermentability of the wort, or is LME somewhat limited in its fermentability to begin with?

When it comes to fermentability of extracts you are somewhat constrained by the manufacturers processes. Maltsters are experts at their craft and put out a fine product but you don't know how the sugars were extracted. Was it mashed at a lower temp favoring increased attenuation or at a higher temp where it will have more unfermentables and give more body? Although I've never tried it I've heard of brewers adding enzymes such as Beano to break down the longer chain sugars, helping make the wort more fermentable.

I have also used the "add half later mehtod" with good results. Since extract is technically wort with water removed, you are only doing a full boil to extract the properties of the hops. I have added half the extract in 10 minutes left in boil (of 60 min) and had good results.

Back