Caramel Apple Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine0n

Reaction score
4 gal apple cider
7 lbs clover honey
3lb caramel malt 60
1/2 cup water with 2 packs boiled bread yeast for nutes

Took 1 gal of cider and heated to 155°f and steeped the caramel malt for 30 minutes

Strained and added to the other cider and honey, mixed very well.

Rehydraded 2 packs of 71B in half must and half water for 15-20 minutes then added to fermenter and topped of to 4.75 gal.

After 1 week it was almost dry 1.015 so I fed it another 5lb clover honey and today I believe it done, I'll take a reading when I go to the other house for hydrometer but it has a nice sweetness, not too much tho!

I'll grab a couple 1 gal jugs so I can rack it and put in the fridge to crash it, then I'll consolidate it into a 3 gal carboy plus what ever else I need for long term storage.

I did a similar mead last year. I reduced the cider with heat to a thick syrup for caramelization. Turned out to be more of an apple pie flavor. I like your idea.

I put just a pint in the fridge last nite and by this am it had settled out almost an inch of stuff.
I'll try not to have to use bentonite and just cold crash then sorbate before bottling but I'll let this sit 4 months before another sample then again at 6 etc.etc.

I got the recipe from the mead recipe forum but altered it a bit for myself to what I like or at least think I like. lol

Just from a 2 oz sample I know this is going to be good, it just a matter of when.

This sounds really cool. Please let us know how it is once ready!

I think you could cold steep the crystal malt instead of heating.

For right now it's just sitting and relaxing, it smells awesome and tastes the same. I do believe next time I'll just do 1.5lb malt, you can still taste the cider, honey and is very malted.
I'll let time be my friend on this one.

Thanks for the tip on cold steeping, will try that method out on the next batch.

This has turned out Fantastic although very very malty, it will not clear on its on tho so I'm going to take the cheating way out and use bentonite to help it along. Only on 1 of the 3 gallons just to see if it changes the flavor "that much" I'll report back with n update on this one.

I also did another cyser with just the cider and honey, it's at 3 weeks and dry so I have been adding 2lb every 3 days to max out the yeast (71B) for the last 6 days now so the total honey is 12 lb for the 4.75 gal batch. I hope this was the last addition I'll need to get it to poop out and I can rack soon as I need the fermenter for another raspberry melomel.

Probably 0.5 to 1 pound of crystal 60L per 5 gallon would have been more restrained.
Anyways, sounds delicious :)

Funny thing, I mixed up 2 tsp of bentonite into 1/2 boiling water and made a nice slurry. Went into the closet where the jugs are and low and behold I could hold it up to the light and see through it. That makes me feel alot better because I was about to mess with something that just needed more time.
I need to learn to wait it out and let time do what it does best.

I've been posting in the original thread and not here for some silly reason.

This stuff is super malty, way too much imo. I only have 2.5 gal from the 3 once racked.
I've been sampling one half gal keeping it in the fridge but this could've been made with .5lb malt and been much better. 3lb is too much for me.
I'll let it sit for a good while and let it finish clearing and hope it mingles better than it is now.

How were the flavors off of that? I love apple butter and have never thought of it... Hmmm

Back