Caramel apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a way to make a caramel apple cider using the store bought apple juice. My thought was to make the cider as described using the juice, and toss in a handful of charred oak chips to impart the caramel flavor. Then when I back sweeten, use a brown sugar simple syrup.

Try checking out the cider recipe section of this site, there are a few recipes there for a caramel apple cider. I personally use a burnt honey in primary for the taste, like a Bochet mead and find that it works well.

. I personally use a burnt honey in primary for the taste

My caramel cider is similar- I add just enough juice to a couple of pounds of brown sugar to make a heavy syrup- a little bit thinner than honey- which I then stir constantly over medium heat until the sugar begins to caramelize- the aroma is unmistakable. This goes into primary; the final result is a cider with a caramel / bourbon flavor I really enjoy.

Two years ago Walmart sold Caramel Apple juice or cider ( can't remember if it was juice or cider) and I fermented it and it came out really good and took first place in the first round of the 2015 AHA NHC home brew competition in Philly. I couldn't find it last year. The caramel juice/cider came out around Thanksgiving/Christmas.

I don't think the oak would get you the caramel flavor. And don't use the caramel extract you can buy at the grocery store. I tried using that for a cider and it was horrible.

Back