American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi KingBrianI - I want to brew your recipe, sounds so good right now. Please tell me, in your recipe, is "batch size" post boil kettle volume, or volume into the fermenter? They can be quite different and I really want to brew it right, with the same hop proportions as you do. Thank you for this awesome recipe!!!

Hi KingBrianI - I want to brew your recipe, sounds so good right now. Please tell me, in your recipe, is "batch size" post boil kettle volume, or volume into the fermenter? They can be quite different and I really want to brew it right, with the same hop proportions as you do. Thank you for this awesome recipe!!!

Hey Jerry,

The batch size measurements for all my recipes refer to the volume into the fermenter. The post boil volume would definitely be more like 6-6.25 gal to account for trub loss/hop absorption/etc.

I hope it turns out well for you!

Brian

Hey Brian,

I'm planning to brew this recipe soon but I don't have access to 80L or 60L as the closest replacement. Would you replace 80L with 40L or 120L and what amount would you use?

Im trying a sliiightly tweaked version of this. Going to be trying it on a grainfather and I needed to bump up the grain weight to 10lb.

so itll be
8lb 2row (80%)
2lb C80L (20%)

Hey Brian,

I'm planning to brew this recipe soon but I don't have access to 80L or 60L as the closest replacement. Would you replace 80L with 40L or 120L and what amount would you use?

I'd go with the 40L as it will be more caramelly and less raisiny. Using the 40L instead of 80L will make a little difference in the flavor, but the beer should still be really good!

I'd go with the 40L as it will be more caramelly and less raisiny. Using the 40L instead of 80L will make a little difference in the flavor, but the beer should still be really good!

Perfect! I'm also thinking about replacing 2 row with maris otter but not sure if it'd be too sweet with 40L + candy syrup + mo.

Leave it be for another week then keg or bottle it.

If its reached terminal gravity, which it likely has in 2 weeks and you are going to bottle it ...what is your rationale for leaving it in the primary for another week? Just curious.

Sorry realized I only grabbed one quote. Prev brewer was 1.010 at 2 weeks primary and wanted to bottle.

I did my first large-batch brew last weekend - 300L of a modified Caramel Amber Ale for a brewpub in town (slightly lower OG, added some flaked oats, split the caramel between CaraAroma and C60, Warrior for bittering and Amarillo at 15 and 5, and the head brewer wants to add some Puer tea after primary fermentation). We made 7.5kg of candi syrup with wort instead of water, but expansion was too much so we had to stop before getting past soft ball. However, after almost five hours of boiling sugar and wort, it still made some mighty tasty syrup. I'll try to post a picture of a pint and some tasting notes in a couple weeks when it goes on tap.

Just kegged this last week, tried my first sample the other night.

Really tastes great. Description is pretty accurate. Very inoffensive; I imagine it'll be popular with even the non-craft crowd.

17796284_10212832101862292_8420619489471907958_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, this recipe is actually really easy to do with extract. Just use 5.25 lbs of light LME or 4.2 lbs light DME in place of the pale malt. Then steep the crystal malt and add the syrup to the boil as usual.

Hello! first time poster here but i've read all 91 pages of this so I don't repeat any questions.
I've only done three all grain 1 gallon batches and trying to up to 5 gallon extract until I get more equipment.
When I put put this information in beersmith I get different values (but also my first time using beersmith): http://imgur.com/a/PHF9d

My changes:
1) 5.25 Gallons
2)5 lb 5 oz DME
3)1 lb 10oz Crystal 80L
4)1oz Chinook for 60 mins to get a higher IBU closer to your original recipe.
http://imgur.com/a/vlCbt

Also, Ive had carbonation drops that I had from my last batch. I now know a lot better not to buy them again but any problems using them this time?

Thanks for everyone who posted and helped me want to brew this so bad. Hard to find time with newborn twins though!

So I've decided not to go with what beer smith or brewers friend say. I picked up 6.6 lbs of LME today. I'll either use all of it or just under. I wonder why those calculators measure things very differently for extract. Still not sure if I should follow your timing on hops or increase since IBU was much less than yours.

I've spent the past couple months building my homebrew setup (eBIAB w/ 15 gallon kettle), and decided this would be my first recipe. It looked both simple and appealing since I would get to play with the candi sugar as well.

I ran into some issues with my brewing and ended up boiling a bit too much water off. Ended up with an OG of 1.061 instead of 1.050. This also resulted in me keeping my 0min hops at 150+ for a bit too long, so I am hopeful that these two factors will balance each other out in the end.

Here are a couple photos of my syrup endeavors. I think I boiled the syrup for a bit too long, although the flavor is delicious. I was going for more straight caramel, and I get a mild flavor of toasted marshmallow.

MTa8EMx.jpg

dB34P5H.jpg

My first attempt was a complete failure. I'll leave you to guess which one the screw up is.

DepufmL.jpg

Hi All,

It's possible this is my first HBT post. Have been reading and learning for the past 6-8 months. Just wanted to give a quick thanks to the OP and all participants of this thread.

I'm about to brew 11 gallons via BIAB. I was going to weasel out and buy my Candi Syrup but when I went supply shopping, my local HBS was out of D-45. I just finished making my own and the results look and taste great. The final syrup is thicker than I imagined but the color and taste seem excellent to me. I ended up with 2.2 lbs.

I'll be using a locally grown and malted grain: Mecca Grade's "Vanora", grown and malted in Madras, OR. I grabbed Imperial Yeast's "Flagship" for this batch. Hoping to brew tomorrow. Can't wait to enjoy the result!

Hi All,

It's possible this is my first HBT post. Have been reading and learning for the past 6-8 months. Just wanted to give a quick thanks to the OP and all participants of this thread.

I'm about to brew 11 gallons via BIAB. I was going to weasel out and buy my Candi Syrup but when I went supply shopping, my local HBS was out of D-45. I just finished making my own and the results look and taste great. The final syrup is thicker than I imagined but the color and taste seem excellent to me. I ended up with 2.2 lbs.

I'll be using a locally grown and malted grain: Mecca Grade's "Vanora", grown and malted in Madras, OR. I grabbed Imperial Yeast's "Flagship" for this batch. Hoping to brew tomorrow. Can't wait to enjoy the result!

Sounds awesome! Keep posted... Drinking "a" pint of this still (it counts as just one pint if you never empty the glass, right? Just keep topping it up?)

Brew session went well. Hit my numbers dead on across the board. Ferm chamber is keeping the fermenters dialed at 65°F. It's just so hard to wait!

Tasted my batch after a week in the fermenter, and it is delicious. I was a bit concerned when I first brewed because the wort had a very bitter after taste, but that has gone away (probably now that the hop residue has settled out). I will wait another week or two before crashing, adding gelatin, and bottling.

I'm thinking about keeping the carb levels around 2.1 to let the smooth sweetness shine through. Anyone have thoughts they'd like to share on the carbonation?

Tasted my batch after a week in the fermenter, and it is delicious. I was a bit concerned when I first brewed because the wort had a very bitter after taste, but that has gone away (probably now that the hop residue has settled out). I will wait another week or two before crashing, adding gelatin, and bottling.

I'm thinking about keeping the carb levels around 2.1 to let the smooth sweetness shine through. Anyone have thoughts they'd like to share on the carbonation?

In my experience: at 2.3-2.5 volumes, it's generally more refreshing and spring-y. At 1.9-2.1 volumes, it's generally more of a smooth, autumn-y beer.

The brewpub batch I helped on at a local brewpub is on tap now and the kegs are draining fast (he told me it's their best seller right now). Between my and the brewmaster's tweaks to the recipe on page one (oats, 50/50 Caramunich III and CaraAroma, Amarillo at 15 and 5), some necessary substitutions (homemade candi cooks a lot differently in 7.5kg batches), and the addition of just over 1g/liter of eight year old Pu-er tea (contributing earthiness and a dry, tannic finish), it's a very different beer from the one most of you are brewing here - dry, earthy, and brown porter-colored with a bit of citrus and that tannic finish, but still quite good.

The one thing that I come back to every time I make a variant of this beer is that it's such a versatile recipe. It can be a flavorful amber, a malty brown, a refreshing summer quencher, a "session quad"... Heck, if I ever get a lagering setup, I'll bet it would make a killer bock with German caramalts. Have I just given myself a new project?

In my experience: at 2.3-2.5 volumes, it's generally more refreshing and spring-y. At 1.9-2.1 volumes, it's generally more of a smooth, autumn-y beer.

That's a good way to look at it. I've viewed this particular batch as a bit more autumn-y, but it will be ready long before then. I'll probably shoot for 2.2 vols and call it good :). Thanks for the insight.

Just want to say this is a fantastic beer, going to try to always have this one on tap. It's easy drinking, but super flavorful, haven't found anyone who hasn't liked it yet.

I'm about 20 bottles through my batch, and it still hasn't really clicked with me yet. I think the crystal malt is a bit too sweet for my taste. This was the first beer on my new brewing system, so operator error could be a factor.

I've decided to stow away my remaining 20 or so bottles for a couple months to see if it will be better in the fall.

I'm about 20 bottles through my batch, and it still hasn't really clicked with me yet. I think the crystal malt is a bit too sweet for my taste. This was the first beer on my new brewing system, so operator error could be a factor.

I've decided to stow away my remaining 20 or so bottles for a couple months to see if it will be better in the fall.

How has this aged???

Well? How did this beer age?

Not him, but I ended up aging half a batch for just about 2.5 months.

Honestly didn't change the beer super overtly, though it was generally more mellow and smooth. The only thing I noticed was possibly more of a fruity, plum-like taste.

It was enough of a difference that I feel confident saying it tasted 'better', but not worth the extra wait!

Just started my second time at this beer on the 7th. Still following the extract recipe 100%.

Got a little high on temperature for like ten minutes when steeping the crystal malt, but it seemed to be OK flavor wise.

Wife made the caramel for me this time, so I'm sure it'll taste better ;)

Just finished brewing this one tonight. I had to make some changes out of necessity; I didn’t order enough hops. I did a 10 gallon batch and added an ounce of Chinook and Willamette at 60 min and an ounce of each at flame out. Should have ended up with 33 IBUs.

It tasted more than bitter enough, so hopefully it turns out OK. Will report back in a month or two when I start drinking it.

I also had to make the candi syrup twice because it came out too light and chunky the first time. Lesson learned for me was to make it a smaller pot and not a sauce pan. Since I had to make it twice I added it at flame out (finished just in time).

I brewed this Sunday and the only change was the amount of Chinook was 14% instead of 13% AA. My homemade syrup on the foil was the dark amber but in the jar it looked like mahogany but still tasted good. The syrup had a consistency of molasses but I put it in the microwave for 45 seconds and it was runny enough to pour in the last 15 minute in the boil. it is chugging away now.

I have to admit I didn't have time to read through and see if this question or one similar has been asked, but I am wanting to brew this up and was wondering if I could use Amber DME and Amber LME instead of Light? Any one have any in put on how this would fair?

This is definitely my next to brew, thanks Brian, looking forward to it! Not sure I can find that yeast here in Australia but will go with something fairly neutral like US05.

I have brewed this beer around 4 times and got it right for my tastes. I have found a 90min mash helps. My last brew was perfect in every way and liked by all that tried it. It was dead clear and had a fantastic creamy head. The strange thing is that my Thai friends, of witch I have many, just love the stuff.
Great recipe.

I had a old Amber Ale Extract Kit from Midwest Brew. I did this Amber Ale and added 1 pound of melted kraft caramels towards the end of the boil. It’s 3 months later and the caramel taste is finally coming thru. All things considered it made a pretty good beer, my buddy and his wife really love it.

Has anyone tried a decoction on this recipe before? I've never done one but am intrigued by adding the extra layer of caramelized sugars into the mix. Brew day is scheduled for tomorrow AM (possibly even tonight depending on how much energy I have after yard work today) so hopefully I hear back. If not i'll likely skip that step and follow the recipe as is. Thanks!

Has anyone tried this with noble hops? Just curious how much different this would come out.

Can anyone repost the 1.00 lb Candi Syrup Amber* (40.0 SRM) Sugar 10.53 % recipe for the Caramel Amber Ale? I guess that the link that was posted in the recipe was to old and didn't work.

Back