Cara Red to Replace Amber Malt??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulge1944

Reaction score
All,

I have a recipe that calls for 1.66# (35L) of amber malt. I am thinking of replacing this with 1# Cara Red (25L). It is the Dogfish 90 minute clone which is being mashed with +/- 17 #'s of Pilsner. Do you think this substitution would work??

Thanks,

bulge1944

:confused:

I have used carared a couple times with good results. I think it would be a little sweeter and less caramely than a 35l malt. I think I would use 1# carared and .66# C40 to substitute. I'm sure either way it will turn out great. :mug:

I don't thimk Carared will do the trick and neither will Crystal. You can make Amber malt by just sticking your pale malt in the oven. Spread it on a cookie sheet, then bake at 200F for about 30 minutes, then up to 300F for about 45 minutes. Midwest Brewing Supplies carries Amber malt if you want to order it online. Otherwise if you want to check your LHBS, substitutes might be Biscuit malt or Victory malt or a combination of the two.

Crystal would be too carmelly and sweet to be a substitute, and Carared will also be a bit on the sweet side. Amber malt is more toasty and biscuity.

Thanks BREW N QUE and Bearcat Brewmeister. I will try the Cara this time and try roasting next. It will give me an excuse to brew again. Not that I need an excuse...

:)

cubbies said:
Munich dark (30L (I think)) could work well for you too. I have used it in a number of Amber colored beers.
I am not so sure on Munich. Sure the color is right, but I think it will have the same problem as Crystal and Carared - too sweet. Amber malt is essentially toasted pale malt, so it has a light toasty flavor, kind of biscuity, but not really sweet. As an experiment, just throw a handful of pale malt in the oven and take a whiff as it bakes. It is fairly different than what you get when you smell Crystal or Munich.

To be honest, I have never had the beer he is trying to replicate, so I cannot attest for the taste. I was just going for color and I know I have used Munich dark in my amber colored beers before. I was by no means trying to discourage him from using your method, just giving him another option.

Cheers :mug:

Back