Capping with parafilm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sput

Reaction score
Has anyone tried capping on top of a piece of parafilm as extra insurance when using questionable bottles like heineken or screw offs? I'm using a hand capper and have an unacceptable failure rate. Of course the usual advice would be use better bottles but I don't know anyone that drinks pop offs except the Heinekens, of which he has now saved me 15 cases that I would like to use.

I set up a few ginger ales as a test to see which vents first but its small scale and anyone with experience over a greater sample size and time would be most appreciated.

thats not a bad idea. as long as its sanitary, i see no issues with that... other than probably getting expensive and taking a lot of time to cut a piece of film for each bottle :mug:

Nothing conclusive either way so far. The ginger ale was so carbonated as soon as you popped the top the bottle would empty itself with an 8in fountain. Thats the heineken bottles both with and without parafilm. I'll check out a few of the stouts conditioning now to see if theres a difference with screw tops. I opened up a 6 month old dry irish stout in a sam adams bottle yesterday to find that it was flat.

Latest posts

Back