capping high shoulder bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oslobrew

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a bottle capper and I was wondering if the red baron hand held capper works on bottles with a relatively high shoulder to cap off (see photo). Where I live there isn't much of a beer selection in the store (or at least I haven't found a store with one). Almost all the beer seems to come from one company that uses this style of bottle so I have stored up quite a few of them. I was told that not all the hand held cappers work on these types of bottles but the red baron capper would work on them. The home brew store is out of the red baron capper so I can't look at it and see if I think it would work on these bottles. Thanks for any help out there. I actually think this is a standard sort of bottle style.

20120703_193001.jpg

Beer bottle caps are one of the few standards in this hobby. The neck length doesn't matter. I have capped both Sam Adams bottles (long neck) and Sierra Nevada bottles (short neck) with the red wing capper. Just be sure you buy beer caps and not champagne caps.

I think it depends on your capper. I have a red wing and have trouble capping a few styles, Anchor steam bottles for instance.

My red baron doesn't really like that style bottle but will do it. You just have to go a little slow and make sure it is centered just right.

Some are a little tricky with the red baron capper, but as long as it's the right size, it will work. I've done guinness bottles and others that don't really even have a neck and it was fine. But the one you pictured will work just fine.

I use a red baron capper,& those bottles like Sierra Nevada work fine. But Smithwick's & Saporro I have trouble with it hanging up when I try to remove it. Other than that,it works great.

On my old red baron capper the plates could be reversed to handle those fine.
I've been using a bench capper so long, I don't know if you can do it with the new ones.

The only ones I've had real trouble with a wing capper were hobgoblin bottles

thought I would follow up on this with the final result. I got the red barron capper I ordered and was able to cap the bottle shown without any problems
thanks for the respones.

I had some issues with handheld cappers and certain bottles. The consensus on the forum and at my local home brew store was to get a bench style capper. I haven't used it yet, but the difference in design makes sense.

Latest posts

Back