Cantillon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerN

Reaction score
Hope you find this website as interesting as I did.

http://www.cantillon.be/

Who's going to give these methods a try then?
I saw a bottle of Rosé de Gambrinus in the shop where I get my Belgian ales from yesterday. I hope they still have some when I go back.

Roger.

the process intrigues me. a guy in my homebrew club is trying a "Texas lambic". gonna let wild yeast ferment the open primary. probably taste and smell like all the refineries and chem plants in our little armpit of Texas!
cool web page. thanks for the link!

i picked up a St. Andrews Ale today. after watching The Open, i had a hanker'n for it.

off the topic, but i wanted to ask you something (RogerN). i saw a show on the Trole in the North Sea and remembered that you said you did S&R on those oil rigs up there. that close to you, or am i way off? :D
man, that's a monster of a rig. we had a rig in the gulf collapse this past week due to Hurrican Dennis. brand new too. hadn't even started drilling......

cool, i'll hit the links and check it out.

yea, i'm a little sceptical about the "Texas Lambic" thing. some of these guy's just like to do things just to try them. i'd rather spend my time and money on brew i like and CAN DRINK! :~) we could always use it on fish-n-chips, right?

DeRoux's Broux said:
i picked up a St. Andrews Ale today.

St Andrew Ale, made by the Belhaven brewery just down the road from me http://www.belhaven.co.uk/indexintro.html

Good luck with the lambic - it's worth noting that Cantillon only brews over the autumn/winter/spring. When i was there at Easter this year they were making preparations for the last of the brews before the shut down production in the summer due to the heat.

The head brewer was complaining that with global warming and longer hotter summers there was an ever shrinking window over the winter in which he could make good brews

80/-

i'll pass that along to the brewer of the lambic. every little bit of info helps, right?

yea, St. Andrews Ale and Wee Heavy are two of my favorite imports. i especially enjoy them during our 4 days of winter here in Texas! :~)
i worked with a guy from that area also. Bob Page. he did sales for our company's office down in Corpus Christi, Texas. cool guy. funy though. he has a stong accent, and working down in an area where 90% of the population is spanish speaking hispanic. needless to say, he didnt' work out too well, but not from lack of effort!

thanks for the link to Belhaven!

DeRoux's Broux said:
St. Andrews Ale and Wee Heavy are two of my favorite imports.

You wouldn't have a recipe for a Wee Heavy clone would you? I can't get enough of that stuff :p

DeRoux's Broux said:
AG, extract, or extract/grain?

Compliments of DeFalco's - Houston ,TX :D

SCOTCH ALE
Deep amber to light brown hue. Strong & malty sweet. Good apertif!
8 lbs. amber malt extract
1 lb. dark brown sugar (end of boil)
1 lb. British pale ale malt
1/2 lb. British cara-pils malt
1 lb. British medium crystal malt
2 oz. roast barley
2/3 oz. Target or Northdown hops (bittering)
1/2 oz. British Fuggles hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. British Fuggles hops (finishing)
1 pkg. Burton water salts
1 pkg. Windsor ale yeast (or Wyeast #1728 or White Labs Edinburgh Ale Yeast)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
1/2 cup brown sugar (priming)
O.G. - 1.070 -- F.G. - 1.015

this is probably more like St. Andrews ale, which I have an AG recipe for at home. or, check w/ the DeFalco's guy's and they can make a recipe for a Wee Heavy.

Oh man, this looks good! I was gonna try a hefe-weisse next, but I think I just changed my mind...headin for Defalco's now...oops, maybe I'll wait till tomorrow (might just be a little impaired :) )

me too! i split the big bottle of St. Andrews Ale i bought last night w/ my wife, and she loved it. so, my next batch may be a clone. i just happen to have a back issue of Zymurgy that has 2 Belhaven clones in it, but don't think they are the Wee Heavy. they don't even have the Wee Heavy listed on their web site? under exports or Best beers.....i'll dig around though!

If you like Scottish Ales it might be worth seeing if you can find any Caledonian beers (http://www.caledonian-brewery.co.uk). It used to be an independent but has recently been taken over by Scottish and Newcastle.

My favourite Cale beers are the Deuchars IPA and their 80 shilling - both fantastic on draft and only slightly poorer in the bottle

Slainte !

80/-

80/- said:
My favourite Cale beers are the Deuchars IPA and their 80 shilling - both fantastic on draft and only slightly poorer in the bottle

Slainte !

80/-

I used to drink those in The Ship Inn, Limekilns just along the road from Rosyth.

RogerN said:
I used to drink those in The Ship Inn, Limekilns just along the road from Rosyth.

Know the area, but not the boozer !

80/-

Hey 80/-, excuse me for being dense (or maybe just uninitiated), but how do you pronounce your user name? Is "/-" the symbol for shillings?

I'm sure 80/- won't mind me answering for him. Yes 80/- is 80 Shilling or also known as 80 Bob.
Something to do with the tax paid on a barrel of beer. The stronger the beer the more tax was paid. 80 being an above average strength beer.
Am I right Eighty?

80/- Limekilns is a small village overlooking the Forth off the main road between Rosyth and kincadine. Highly recommended if your ever in the area.

Roger.

RogerN said:
I'm sure 80/- won't mind me answering for him. Yes 80/- is 80 Shilling or also known as 80 Bob.
Something to do with the tax paid on a barrel of beer. The stronger the beer the more tax was paid. 80 being an above average strength beer.
Am I right Eighty?

Absolutely spot on !

Beer used to be taxed depending on it's alcoholic strength - a set number of shillings per barrel. In Scotland the beer types are oftern still referred to by the old tax bandings.

I've sampled 60/- (quite a light ale), 70/-, 80/- and 90/-.

My favourites are 70/- or 80/- depending on the brewery, but a nice bottle of 90/- is good on a cold winters night.

:D
80/-

man, you guy's are killing me w/ the Scottish brew talk!!!! i have to brew an ESB tomorrow, and would rather a 80/-.

i'll probably have to look for a Caledonian the next time i'm in Houston, TX. best i can get local is the Belhaven, which is mighty fine with me! thanks for the tip!

i'm really starting to dig you English/Scottish guy's! (any word on the bastard they took out in London today? hope it saved some grief and lives..........)

Thanks guys...you'd think I'd have learned a bit of that stuff, having been born there, but that was a long time ago :(

80/- said:
If you like Scottish Ales it might be worth seeing if you can find any Caledonian beers (http://www.caledonian-brewery.co.uk). It used to be an independent but has recently been taken over by Scottish and Newcastle.

Slainte !

80/-

Nice website and that Caledonian 80 shilling looks mouth-watering! But, DAMN! You can't get it here in the States. Damn bassackwards purtian American politicians @#$@%#!!

But there's hope for us Yanks. They do have it on tap in Ontario. That's only about six hours away for me. And the Bell's Brewery in Michigan is on the way, right off the Interstate!

Road trip !

DeRoux's Broux said:
(any word on the bastard they took out in London today? hope it saved some grief and lives..........)

Latest news is he wasn't connected to the attempted bombings!!!!!!!!!!

Roger.

Yeah, the poor bastard was an innocent Brazillian as I'm sure we all know now...makes one think twice hopefully before jumping to conclusions...

FWIW, on the subject of Lambics, there is a new book out called Wild Brews. I haven't gotten it yet but I will soon. It sounds very interesting and helpful in terms of making something like a Texas lambic.

I have had some success making lambic by pitching yeast cultured from Cantillon bottles...

Janx said:
Yeah, the poor bastard was an innocent Brazillian as I'm sure we all know now...makes one think twice hopefully before jumping to conclusions...

Or maybe it will make one think twice about running from the police, onto a subway train, after a terrorist attack on subway trains. Hmmm...

i'll pass along the lambic info the the club guy that's going to try the "Texas" lambic....should be an interesting brew.

i'm on a grand jury right now, and it's amazing at how many people run from the police when they have no reason too. idiots!

As it turns out, the guy wasn't wearing a big coat, and didn't run. At least that's one report I heard. In that case, the cops screwed up big time.

Back