Cant stop the chill haze.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
its driving me nuts. I now use irish moss in the boil and an IM wort chiller.

Is it because i pour the wort into the fermenter through a strainer instead of siphoning?

I also have a batch of red ale in the secondary now, is it too late to add gelatin?

Ive read that Chill haze causes beer flavor to deteriote faster, is this true? I have an IPA that has chil haze and after only about 3 weeks in the bottle, the hop aroma is all but gone.

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
Are you getting a good cold break?

I dont know how to tell but I bring 6 gallons of wort from near boil to 70 in about 25-30 minutes.

Gelatin will help in the secondary.

Extended chill times for your bottles (or kegs) is the biggest factor.

If all the other conditions were right (good hard boil/hot break, good cold break, irish moss / Gelatin), then the beer will eventually clear with good long cold conditioning.

BierMuncher nailed it. My clearest beers come from the new keg but they are always cold. I never got really clear beers in a bottle but then I also never had them in a refrigerator for an extended period after carbonation.

homebrewer_99 said:
I agree wholeheartedly, but I was trying to help a brother out...:mug:

Thanks, the quest for the perfect batch continues!!

I used to have a chill haze issue in almost all of my beers. When I stopped dumping wort through a strainer into primary and started running is through the ball valve and hose on my keggle the chill haze issue seemed to have been taken care of.

I can't guarantee that was the sole source of the problem though. I may have changed something else about my procedues and not been aware of it or not remember.

ohiobrewtus said:
I used to have a chill haze issue in almost all of my beers. When I stopped dumping wort through a strainer into primary and started running is through the ball valve and hose on my keggle the chill haze issue seemed to have been taken care of.

I can't guarantee that was the sole source of the problem though. I may have changed something else about my procedues and not been aware of it or not remember.

Thats definitely interesting, i will have to go to woorpooling from now on. Did the chill haze affect the flavor of your brews after time.

my first batches of extract brews all had problems with chill haze, then I changed yeast and I've had great results ever since. I like nottingham dry ale yeast or copper's gold. I guess it's better to be lucky than good.

Latest posts

Back