cant get beer to force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshulha

Reaction score
Hello evryone I have tried to force carb my pilsner by both using the set and forget method leaving the ket at 15psi for 12 days and then using the the crank and share method. The only result I am getting is undercarbed beer that happen to be extremely foamy. Like the whole glass is foam. Any ideas?

its probably the water or a muddy flavor caused by not enough bittering hops and you think its not carbed enough but in fact its over carbed, leave it on the low co2 for a month and it will sharpen up over time, it will foam from now on but the carbonation will add the bitterness your looking for eventually

its probably the water or a muddy flavor caused by not enough bittering hops and you think its not carbed enough but in fact its over carbed, leave it on the low co2 for a month and it will sharpen up over time, it will foam from now on but the carbonation will add the bitterness your looking for eventually

kind hoping to fix it this weekend :-(

if the beer is fine just take it out and let it set in room temps for a day then I would bleed the keg every hour for a day and wallah its fixed, as for the not seaming carbed theirs no fix for that unless you add something to the beer like a spice or highly bitter hops as a dry hop in the keg

if the beer is fine just take it out and let it set in room temps for a day then I would bleed the keg every hour for a day and wallah its fixed, as for the not seaming carbed theirs no fix for that unless you add something to the beer like a spice or highly bitter hops as a dry hop in the keg

well ok but I see no bubbles in the body of the beer rising up?

All your carbonation is coming out of solution during the pour and turning your beer to foam in your glass.

Thanks LLBeanJ its all the carbonation is comming out because it is over carbed so the C02 rushes out?

Thanks LLBeanJ its all the carbonation is comming out because it is over carbed so the C02 rushes out?

It's probably all coming out because your beer lines are too short and/or to large an inside diameter. You need about 1 ft of 3/16" ID vinyl line for each psi of pressure. If the lines are too large or too short, there is not enough pressure drop in the lines during pouring, so all of the excess pressure is released coming out of the tap. The beer then foams up, and the process of foaming decarbonates it. You also need to keep your beer lines at the same temp as your kegs, since warmer lines also encourage foamy pours. Your keggerator/keezer should have a fan running in it to avoid temp stratification in the chamber.

Brew on :mug:

It's probably all coming out because your beer lines are too short and/or to large an inside diameter. You need about 1 ft of 3/16" ID vinyl line for each psi of pressure. If the lines are too large or too short, there is not enough pressure drop in the lines during pouring, so all of the excess pressure is released coming out of the tap. The beer then foams up, and the process of foaming decarbonates it. You also need to keep your beer lines at the same temp as your kegs, since warmer lines also encourage foamy pours. Your keggerator/keezer should have a fan running in it to avoid temp stratification in the chamber.

my likes are pretty long more than six feet. and they whole line is in the frige so difference in temp

my likes are pretty long more than six feet. and they whole line is in the frige so difference in temp

6 ft isn't a long beer line, and isn't enough for 15 psi. You need more like 14 - 15 ft for that pressure. And temperatures are not constant throughout the inside of a refrigerator. That's why people put fans inside to move the air around and get more uniform temperature. You didn't mention the inside diameter of your beer line. If it's more than 3/16", then that's part of the problem.

6 ft isn't a long beer line, and isn't enough for 15 psi. You need more like 14 - 15 ft for that pressure. And temperatures are not constant throughout the inside of a refrigerator. That's why people put fans inside to move the air around and get more uniform temperature. You didn't mention the inside diameter of your beer line. If it's more than 3/16", then that's part of the problem.

I can second this. I just swapped out my 5ft kegerator beer lines with 11foot 3/16 lines and my pours got dramatically better with less foam.... I wish I had gone with slightly longer beer lines...
It amazing how many beer line calculators and kegerator beer line kits are simply wrong and by so much.

I always find this interesting as my kegerator lines are stock and my pours are fine. The first pour is a little foamy due to the tower not being as cold as the kegs. I pour at 12psi and I have no problems. I'm just lucky, I guess.

Yes. As others have stated, the foaming could be due to line inside diameter being too large (1/4" instead of 3/16") and/or line length. However, you can get any beer to pour well out of any setup if you keep the carbonation in line with what that system configuration can handle (flat beer doesn't foam). It may not be to style, but it will pour. That's why I suggested that you decrease the carb by shutting off the gas and venting multiple times over the next day or three to get the pour where you want it, foam-wise, then you can decide if you need to change line diameters and/or lengthen the line, as you may find that a carb level that gives you a great pour using your current line is just not "fizzy" enough for your liking, at which point you would likely want to go with smaller diameter and/or longer line in order to get your system to tolerate a higher carbonation level. But, until you decarb the beer so it pours properly, you really won't know what you need to do to fix it (which could very well be just keeping the carb a bit on the low side and leaving your line as-is).

6 ft isn't a long beer line, and isn't enough for 15 psi. You need more like 14 - 15 ft for that pressure.

While this is true, the real question to be asking is why is he running 15 PSI, when 10 PSI will likely do the job?

I'm running 6' of 3/16" ID Bev-Seal @ 10 PSI @ 40°F with Perlick 525SS faucets and my pours are just fine and the beer does not seem undercarbed to me. I have 3 taps with this exact configuration. I also have no doubt in my mind that if I tried to carb and serve @ 15 PSI, I'd be taking a fast ride to Foamville.

I suspect most of us (as keggers) have run into similar issues and is the reason we know how to steer around the issues you are bringing to the table. Been there, seen that, done that.

Force carbing beer can be tricky and I always liked to set the regulator at 12psi and let it ride for a week or two and beer is perfect. But darn, I have a party tomorrow night...now what? I bought a keg lid with a carb stone from Williams Brewing. CO2 is forced into the center mass of the wort thru a tube into a carb stone and carbing happens more quickly. With cold beer in keg and carb stone in place, I set regulator at 4 psi...leave one hour. Bump regulator to 6 psi, leave one hour. Bump 2 psi every hour until you hit 12 psi and leave overnight. Using this method, my beers are perfect in less than 18 hours.

Another device I depend on is a Perlick 650SS flow control tap. Lots of foaming comes from issues addressed earlier in this thread, plus when cold beer hits a warmer tap faucet, this causes foaming too. I turn the flow control down to a slow pour as the beer cools off the faucet. Then I open the flow and the pour is fine.

Just a couple of devices I use that make my kegging life easy.

I have question now. I am looking to replace my 3/16th lines. they are currently about 6' and i get a lot of foam. How long is too long? should I go to 10', 11', 15'???

You can't go too long. The only affect longer than necessary lines causes is slower pours. You can always cut more line off. Adding it back if too short...well that gets more tricky. I'd go for 15' and if the pour is too slow cut some off and try again.

While this is true, the real question to be asking is why is he running 15 PSI, when 10 PSI will likely do the job?

There's nothing illegal or immoral about carbing at 15 psi. Yes, it'll result in a high carb level, but if that's what OP wants, then there is nothing wrong with it. If OP isn't looking for highly carbed beer, then 15 psi is a mistake. But, assuming 15 psi is desired, then longer lines will enable that without excess foaming.

Don't let your system dictate what carb levels you can have. Tune your system to the carb levels you want.

Last edited:
There's nothing illegal or immoral about carbing at 15 psi. Yes, it'll result in a high carb level, but if that's what OP wants, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Only true if you're serving beer at low temps. I have a stout and a bitter sitting at around 2.2 atmospheres at 12PSI, because I serve my Irish and English ales at 50F.

Only true if you're serving beer at low temps. I have a stout and a bitter sitting at around 2.2 atmospheres at 12PSI, because I serve my Irish and English ales at 50F.

Yeah, at 50°F, 15 psi is only 2.3 volumes, which is not a high carb level. But OP's beer is a pilsner, so I doubt they'd be serving it that warm. And, according to the chart your 12 psi @ 50°F is more like 2.06 volumes.

Back