Cant get all of my beer from conical to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
When kegging from my conical, I am leaving about a gallon and a half left in the conical. I can’t even get down to the racking arm. I’m transferring under pressure with my co2 tank. I can’t figure it out. The connections are not getting clogged with hops or yeast. Maybe the conical needs to be raised higher?
BCA9CEB9-3C1C-46C7-9550-06192782666D.jpeg

How much pressure are you using? Height doesn't matter if the pressure is adequate.

You're not by any chance trying to transfer into an unvented keg (i.e. no spunding valve or no open PRV) are you?

I do 10 gallon batches. The first keg fills perfectly. When I hook up the second keg nothing flows. The kegs have a tube that overflows into a bucket of sanitizer. It’s not pressurized. I’ve taken it all apart and cleaned everything. Nothing is clogging. I ramped up the pressure on the conical to nearly 10 psi and worked all the valves back and forth. Nothing.

I do 10 gallon batches. The first keg fills perfectly. When I hook up the second keg nothing flows. The kegs have a tube that overflows into a bucket of sanitizer. It’s not pressurized. I’ve taken it all apart and cleaned everything. Nothing is clogging. I ramped up the pressure on the conical to nearly 10 psi and worked all the valves back and forth. Nothing.

If you remove the black QD from the keg and depress the poppet valve with your finger, does it flow then? If not, either that QD is clogging or the TC x 1/4" MFL adapter is. That fitting has a pretty disappointingly small bore on it assuming you're using the Spike transfer kit. If it's always that particular keg, it's possible the long diptube is very firmly bottomed out in the keg and creating a good seal at the bottom.

My conical is on a table, when I rack to kegs, they are on scale on milk crate on floor below. Using 2-3 PSI CO2, conical emptys to racking port no problem. It would empty by gravity alone like this, but CO2 displaces beer to avoid oxyegenation.

Back