Canadian Brew Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!
I hear commercial brew is expensive. Can you guys get craft brew from US up there?
How much is a brew or a mixed drink at a bar?

triangulum33 said:
Thanks!
I hear commercial brew is expensive. Can you guys get craft brew from US up there?
How much is a brew or a mixed drink at a bar?

Varies (WIDELY) from province to province.

BMC is quite expensive here in Ontario. A 24 of Coors Light costs around $35 (I think!). But a lot of craft and imported stuff is cheaper here than just about anywhere, mostly because the government-operated alcohol retailer here is the largest single purchaser of alcohol in the world.

emjay, are you able to get Sierra Nevada, Stone, European, etc.?

On a side note, thanks for your water advice on the forum emjay!

I can't speak for Calgary, but in Ontario we get some USA craft beers like: Rogue, Dogfish Head, Southern Tier, Brooklyn. I wouldn't worry too much about USA beers, the craft beer scene in Canada is booming, with LOTS of great beers coming out of your neighbour British Columbia.

The alcohol retail system is different in every province. In Alberta it is private as opposed to government regulated as it is in Ontario.

Dogfish head? Haven't seen that at the LCBO for years... only at beer bars :eek:

But yeah, we definitely get a lot of Southern Tier brews. Quite a few different Rogue products as well, not to mention Anchor. And if course, Sam Adams.

To be honest though, we are definitely lacking when it comes to American craft brews. Part of the reason is because the red tape of dealing with the government-operated distributor is insane, and many of the American craft brewers don't feel it's worth the headache. And as much as I'd like to say our local (Ontario) craft beer is just as good, it really isn't. Not even close.

Back