Can you use a 25' wort chiller for a 10gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking on do a 10 gallon batch soon and all I have is a 25' SS chiller. Is it possible to cool 10 gallons in a normal amount of time?

With 50F tap water in the winter and a good constant stirring, you'll get it done.

Good point of view Bobby... use the Boston elements to your advantage.

I did my first 10 gallon with similar equipment and it worked out fine even without the winter conditions. Try running the water line though an ice bucket before it goes into the coil. It may help if your still not cooling quick enough.

Good point of view Bobby... use the Boston elements to your advantage.

I did my first 10 gallon with similar equipment and it worked out fine even without the winter conditions. Try running the water line though an ice bucket before it goes into the coil. It may help if your still not cooling quick enough.

Or better yet, recirculate ice water through the chiller. That's how I do it, works like a charm and I can even get down to lager fermentation temps in a short amount of time.

Siphon the wort into two Ale Pails and put the chiller in. You'll obviously have to move the chiller in between buckets, but it is the fastest way, I've found, to chill 10 gallons with a 25' chiller without additional equipment.

Back