Can you tell hops apart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Be honest, if you tasted the an IPA with the same grain bill side by side with differing Centennial, Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo hops could you name which beer had which?

I think the simcoe and anything else would be pretty easy. The last three would be a bit more difficult. amarillo would be the next easiest and I think i could tell centennial apart from cascade.... maybe.

A year or two ago, no way. Now? I'd probably hit all 4. (I differ from the others in being really sensitive to Centennial- I actually think I might be slightly allergic for whatever reason).

In single hopped beers:
All day, everyday: Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Northern Brewer, Czech Saaz, EKG, and Chinook.

Everything else I don't use enough, or is just hard for me to pick out. Those all have super distinctive characteristics to me

Simcoe yes, personally the others, I do not think so. Simcoe is very distinct.

I could pick out Cascade or Centennial, but I have trouble telling the two apart.

Need to study what hops are in the commercial beers I drink the most to learn more about this...

I use Centennial, Cascade, and EKGs more than anything...

Back