Can you smell contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
I'm at 4 days on my dunkel and the air lock just has this totally undesirable smell coming out.... Can I actually smell off flavors and Contamination from a young ferment out of the lock?

I hope not or my Runination clone is going to taste like sour bread! I have learned to just get it fermented and carbed and then decide what it tastes like. I have never been let down yet.

Nothing to worry about,you could get sulfer smells,it will turn out good once its done.Are you lagering?

Sulfer! That's the smell, I couldn't put my finger on it.
Not lagering, classic dunkel, 6lbs bavarian wheat dme, 8oz caramunich, 4oz chocolate, 4oz special II, 1oz perle, T-58 strain

Sulfer smell is perfectly normal for several yeasts. Relax, unless you start to grow something funny (and even then, you may be just fine).

Sounds good,i loved my first dunkel and it wasnt a lager either,one of my first better beers i made.I used o5 yeast. Do you have that t-58 at a low temp? Im not shure how i feel about that t-58 yeast yet, i think i liked munich and whitbred 06 i think it was more but diff.recipes so you could end up really liking it.It may have been my recipes didnt work well with that yeast also,its hard to tell sometimes.

Pitched at 63 and maintained 64 for 36 hours, currently at 66. Sulfer is a new smell for me, mostly I get that green apples smell for the first week. I never open the batch until 14 days to measure gravity so we'll see next week I guess

Well depending whether your fermentation temps are 66 or your ambient room temps are 66, i did about the same temps, i think. but if you want more of the characteristics of t-58 you could raise the temp.Something tells me lower temps may give off sulfer smells but nothing to be concerned about. I think t-58 was pretty mild in character probably because i fermented on the lower spec of temps.

Actually the answer is both, I like to stay in the low middle of the temperature for the yeast. Ambient is 66 and brew temp is 66. I use an IR thermometer which is quickly becoming a staple in brewing

Back