Can you serve beer at 48-50 degrees from a keg ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyjack

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 7 cf chest freezer to get a keezer under way. I will have room for 3 kegs along with a plastic fermenting bucket. My goal is to use the fermenting bucket for lagers. I don't want to go out and purchase 2-3 more freezers until I have tried out a few lagers and see how it goes. It will make my serving temp really cold when I lager, just let the beer warm up no biggie. However, will it hurt anything at 48-50 degrees when the lager is fermenting or is that a no-no? I didn't know if it would be bad because of food spoilage temps

You'll have two issues. One is that you'll need very, very long lines to slow the pour down enough to avoid excessive foaming when serving it at the warmer temps. The second is that you need the serving pressure to match the carbonation level in the keg at all times, and changing the temperature will want to mess this up. What you'll need to do is disconnect the gas to the kegs before you change the temperature, let the keezer stabilize at the new temp, and then reconnect the gas at a new pressure that matches the carbonation level in the kegs. You'll need to do this every time you let the keezer warm up or cool down.

Good point Juan I hadn't thought of the temp, pressure, and hose length. Still very new to kegging.

@DrPhilgood, No I thought the 50 degrees would be to warm, but after I have read a little bit 50 is doable, but I'm glad Juan pointed out that is not the problem

Back