Can you sanitize with Isopropyl Alcohol 91%?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
Is this safe for me to use?

I cleaned my carboy out a couple weeks ago with star san and everything.

I was wondering if I can swirl a little Isopropyl Alcohol in there dump it out and let it dry .. just because its quick and easy

Is that easier than doing the same with a little starsan?

Here's what you do. Get a spray bottle for a couple bucks. Put a little starsan in it and top it up with water. Now anytime you want to do a quick sanitize on anything you just give it a couple spritzes with the spray bottle set on wide spray. Works great on carboys because you just point it in the neck, pump 4-5 times, give a little swirl to coat and drain it out.

I keep the bottle handy and use it constantly on brewday, and even now and then in between. Quick shot on your thermometer and it's good to check if your wort's cool. Quick shot on your spoon and you can stir to oxygenate your wort. Quick shot on the cutting board after washing the raw chickn goo off it. Tons of uses. That and oxyclean are what makes my wife happy I took up homebrewing.

You will need lots of it because it evaporates so fast. Starsan works even after it dries. The alcohol will not.

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol for certain things between brew days so I don't have to mix up a batch of sanitizer just to sanitize an air-lock or thief. Also I use it on the tin foil cover for starters.

Is that easier than doing the same with a little starsan?

Here's what you do. Get a spray bottle for a couple bucks. Put a little starsan in it and top it up with water. Now anytime you want to do a quick sanitize on anything you just give it a couple spritzes with the spray bottle set on wide spray. Works great on carboys because you just point it in the neck, pump 4-5 times, give a little swirl to coat and drain it out.

I keep the bottle handy and use it constantly on brewday, and even now and then in between. Quick shot on your thermometer and it's good to check if your wort's cool. Quick shot on your spoon and you can stir to oxygenate your wort. Quick shot on the cutting board after washing the raw chickn goo off it. Tons of uses. That and oxyclean are what makes my wife happy I took up homebrewing.

can you do that for One-Step too?

I use 70% iso for sanitizing my bungs and whatnot because it evaporates and does not make them slippery like Starsan does. It is a handy thing to have around and at $1 for a small bottle it is totally worth it IMHO.

I use 70% iso for sanitizing my bungs and whatnot because it evaporates and does not make them slippery like Starsan does. It is a handy thing to have around and at $1 for a small bottle it is totally worth it IMHO.

See, thats exactly what I was thinking... because I let my airlocks soak in star san.. and they keep popping out of the carboy because they are so slippery.

I figure its a good quick way to give everyting a once over.

can you do that for One-Step too?

Not really.

First, it requires long substantial contact times, so simply spraying it on isn't going to be very effective.

Second, it's a percarbonate, which works by generating hydrogen peroxide in solution in the water. This is fairly unstable, and degrades quickly with warmth, light, and other factors--even if it's stored in a clean, cool, dark container it won't last more than a week at the outside If it's exposed to light or regular room temperatures, you're looking at a shorter timetable (the fridge can extend it slightly). Basically, without very careful storage you're best off mixing it up the same day that you use it.

Third, One-Step is a cleanser (not a sanitizer). Though many people use in in lieu of a sanitizer, it's not FDA approved as one.

I'm just wondering if you can drink the stuff? ;)

Sure, if you don't need your vision...

From Wikipedia: Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.

Just in case people don't get the winky emoticon...

A whole two weeks in the Caribbean drinking strong rum which looked like oily petrol left me hallucinating and it's not a place I'd like to be again.

You poor fellow...

I would gladly take up the duty which you are clearly unwilling to fulfill.

Let the hallucinations begin!

Back