Can you make the best recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheadonthedoor

Reaction score
I am no stranger to recipe creation, and I have been very pleased with my beers lately, especially the big hoppy bastards. With that said, I am always curious to see other's ideas, and while my brew partner isn't huge on forming the actual grain and malt bill, I leave it up to one of you beautiful souls.

I bade you to explain every choice. Tell me about why, in your experience, that you like Chinook and Equinox together. Or about how the spicy notes of Columbus really makes the floral notes of Centennial stand out.

Here is my extensive list of hops I have with amounts. Keep a couple things in mind first though. If you make your recipe Citra forward, I will likely not be pleased. The Citra are the 2014 batch and much too pineapple upfront as opposed to the typical mango and cattiness that I loved about them. Additionally, the Columbus, Glacier, Ahtunum, and Apollo are not as fresh as the others. Also keep in mind that I am a firm believer (no surprise) in greatly limiting caramel malt, if any. You should also plan that my first dose of dry hop will be in primary. Then a large second one in the keg. Assume that all is well with my ability to follow instructions, get proper grains, aerate, eliminate oxygen, keg, etc.
Also assume that the yeast used will likely be California ale yeast with a starter. If I am feeling lazy though, it may just be US-05.
Anyways, onto the list! I hope some of you are jealous. :)
11 ounces Centennial
10 ounces Chinook
2 ounces Ella
3.5 ounces Apollo
4.5 ounces Mosaic
3.5 ounces Citra
4.5 ounces Amarillo
3 ounces Ahtunum
4 ounces Glacier
2 ounces Columbus
8 ounces Equinox
9 ounces El Dorado

This beer will likely be brewed around the 7th of December, and the recipe will be chosen on the 1st. Unless like no one really replies (or if no recipes seem decent), then I will just make it myself.

But I have faith in many of you.

Thanks and I hope this can be fun.

It should be obvious, but I am looking for an ipa recipe. Preferably between 6-8%. Light colored and full of bright vibrant flavors. Not overly bitter or malty.

5 gallons. I have a full size keg brewpot with a propane burner. And I have controlled fermentation.

Here is my next brew. 1.067 OG and .943 IBU/SG. I am going to brew it up this week or early next. Not sure if its the best, but its what Im doing lol

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.02 gal
Boil Size: 7.37 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.09 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.65 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Date: 09 Nov 2015
Brewer: TH
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Electric Urn (10 Gal/40 L) - BIAB
Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.5 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

9 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.3 %
1 lbs 3.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.3 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %
0.80 oz Bravo [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 38.9 IBUs
0.15 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 8.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 4.0 min Hop 7 7.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 4.0 min Hop 8 2.8 IBUs
0.20 oz Bravo [15.50 %] - Boil 4.0 min Hop 9 1.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 -

I'd do an new east coast styled 6.5-7%-ish IPA, something like this:

10# 2-row
1# oats/oat malt (mixed preferred, but just do oats as it's easier)
2-4 oz wheat flour
5-10 oz sugar depending on how strong you want it

Mash high, around 155, the sugar will ferment it dry, and you'll get a really nice mouthfeel, especially with an English yeast strain, Wyeast 1318 maybe (great IPA yeast), or just go for Nottingham/S-04, US-05 would be very much so not preferred at least, for me.

Going for Colombus for spicy, earthy resin/dank notes, then full on fruity, with Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic & Ella, using all of each, I'm sure it will be great, mostly Ella & Citra for dryhop as they both have huge amount of oils.

0 min give right after boil, then put chiller for a few seconds until 190 f, and add the hops for aroma steep - let it steep at 190 F with foil/lid over for 30 min or so.

Dry hop #1 around 4-5 days in to the fermenter (while still fermenting a bit, I usually add the sugar at this point as well), dry hop for 4 days, take out, dry hop #2 for 4 days, then cold crash.

Would do high CaCl treatment for around 150ppm Cl and 90ish sulfate, be sure to hit mash ph at 5.1-5.3.

Grains
------
10# 2-row
1# oats/oat malt (mixed preferred, but just do oats as it's easier)
2-4 oz wheat flour
5-10 oz sugar depending on how strong you want it

Hops
------
0.50 oz. Columbus @ 60 min.
2.00 oz. Mosaic @ 0 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus @ 0 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo @ 0 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo @ Aroma Steep
1.00 oz. Ella @ Aroma Steep
1.00 oz. Citra @ Aroma Steep
1.00 oz. Mosaic @ Aroma Steep