Can you freeze spent Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb26

Reaction score
I have just brewed a DIPA,and have 17lb of spent grain. I would like use it for food, but don't want to use it all right now. I'm wondering if I could freeze the grain to preserve it for later? Any suggestions would help.

Hope someone has a answer, I really don't want to throw it out.
Thanks,
srb26

yes you can. I have frozen spent grain to use it in spent grain bread and it worked.

Kai

I freeze my spent grains and then use them for pizza dough, bread and doggie treats (sunshine...., my dog, loves em).

I currently have 8lbs of spent grain in the freezer and will be brewing again tomorrow, which will give me several more lbs. of grain to freeze.

Salute! :mug:

I don't freeze all the spent grain just not enough room . But I do freeze maybe 2-3 lbs to make bread and such never had a problem. I wouldn't keep it for months like any other frozen unprocessed food but a few weeks no problem

If you're not going to use it immediately, you have to freeze it, almost instantly. Because as it cools, lactobacillus sets in. The grain starts to get slimy and starts to stink to high heaven. Even thawing it out you have to use it quickly.

I once saved 10 pounds in my freezer to take to my then GF's Llamas that she raised. I pulled it out of the freezer about 45 minutes before I left to soften, and it was another 45 minute's drive, and in that 90 minutes it had turned.

Even the llamas wouldn't touch it. In fact, they were so offended by it that they started huffing and puffing which is the sign that they, like camels, will start a nasty spitting attack. My GF yelled at me to back out slowly. It was touchy. :D

I will be needing a new roof soon, how do you make spent grains into roofing tiles?;)

* 1/4 bucket of sand Replace with spent grain
* 1/8 bucket of straw cut into two-to-three-inch pieces
* Enough water to make a doughlike consistency
* Six empty half-gallon waxed milk containers OR six 4 * 11 * 22 inch wooden brick molds, which can be made from 2-by-4s nailed together
* Waterproof tape

Directions:

* Thoroughly mix the adobe clay, sand and straw in the bucket; add only enough water to create a workable consistency
* You can use either the wooden brick molds or the waxed 1/2 gallon milk cartons. To make the molds from the latter, cut one side from the carton (which becomes the open top of the brick mold). Cut and flatten the folded spout end and tape the carton firmly into a rectangular shape.
* Pack the brick mixture into the cartons, filling each about tow-thirds full. IN 15 minutes to 24 hours, the brick will be firm enough to tip out. Each batch is different' you will have to judge when your mix will maintain a brick shape.
* Place shaped bricks in a sunny location and turn repeatedly as they dry. (A completely dry brick is uniform in color, inside and out.)

:D

OK........so now how do I utilize my spent grain cure erectile dysfunction?;)

1) Place 20# of spent grain in large grain bag.

2) Tie grain bag to tip of penis with 1' of twine and allow to hang while standing for 2 hours.

3) Once penis is stretched to acceptable length, duct tape wooden dowels on each side of penis tightly to keep it extended.

4) Remove within 36 hours.

2) Tie grain bag to tip of penis with 1' of twine and allow to hang while standing for 2 hours.

3) Once penis is stretched to acceptable length, duct tape wooden dowels on each side of penis tightly to keep it extended.

I would like to note that the 'McKBrew Method' has the same window as most medications on the market, and doesn't need a pesky trip to your local pharmacy.

If you're not going to use it immediately, you have to freeze it, almost instantly. Because as it cools, lactobacillus sets in. The grain starts to get slimy and starts to stink to high heaven. Even thawing it out you have to use it quickly.

I once saved 10 pounds in my freezer to take to my then GF's Llamas that she raised. I pulled it out of the freezer about 45 minutes before I left to soften, and it was another 45 minute's drive, and in that 90 minutes it had turned.

Even the llamas wouldn't touch it. In fact, they were so offended by it that they started huffing and puffing which is the sign that they, like camels, will start a nasty spitting attack. My GF yelled at me to back out slowly. It was touchy. :D

Apparently the cows that Chimay give their spent grains to like the 'kick' they have to them.... Too bad the llama's didn't!

Wow! This worked amazingly!

SWMBO thanks you!!!!;)

(LMAO!!!!!!)

I just received 5 lbs of spent barley from a brewer (beer) was in bucket 3 days I just took out of bucket and bagged some for freezer and some for chickens and rest for my compost. It still spelled OK so hope I am not killing my pets?

For your chickens and compost pile, it's fine. I wouldn't freeze it for anything useful. Like any other food, if it smells like it's spoiled, it probably is.

Back