Can you cool down the brew pot in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avillax

Reaction score
So as I mentioned before, I had problems to cool down the brew pot quickly and I was wondering if you would recommend to place the brew pot in the fridge?

I'm putting the brewpot in the shower which is not too deep, perhaps 2.5 inches of water deep and putting some ice on it, I mention some ice because here in Czech Republic they dont sell ice and I make ice cubes with the tiny freezer I have. and putting some cold wet towels around it fastened with a string.

By the way, if some mod can edit the title, I meant cool down, not call down.

hmmm thats not a bad method given your resources. How long is it taking to cool to pitching temp (20°c)? You can improve the Cooling by stiring the wort to mx the hot/coolspots.

Another cheap improvement is a big bucket which holds your brew pot, which you run water through, known as a swamp cooler.

If you plan on sticking with the hobby of brwing i recommend an immersion chiller or counterflow chiller though.

Back to your question im pretty confident your curent methid will be quicker than putting it in the fridge.

Last edited:
If you can, consider spending the $$ on a small Copper immersion chiller. Might be a bit of work where you live, but it's really worth it, even if it's not super efficient, it's got to be better than what you're doing now.

So as I mentioned before, I had problems to cool down the brew pot quickly and I was wondering if you would recommend to place the brew pot in the fridge?

My friend did. It melted the entire interior of his refrigerator.

Yeah, I would be very careful putting a large pot of hot liquid in a refrigerator. Even if it doesn't damage the interior, that much thermal mass might send your fridge's compressor to an early grave.

If your water is cold a decent immersion chiller can get 5 gallons of wort to pitching temps in under 20 minutes

There are a lot of tutorials on how to build your own using plumbing supplies as well.

While it is a lot of physical effort, you can stir constantly while cooling in the ice bath and this will make a big difference. Adding salt to the ice bath should also help heat be absorbed from the pot.

Back