Can you burn over your hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stokes_

Reaction score
Like you do in a normal garden? Went to cut some rhizomes and noticed they dont go very deep, and am worried if I do the heat will kill them.

I've never burnt my garden but am thinking that maybe that's done to burn off any old vegetation that remained from last season?

Anyway, however the burning is done, it will probably knock out the buds very near the surface. The good news is twofold: Those buds are the ones what would have potentially harbored downy mildew spores (if there were any present), so by removing them would lessen your chances of a disease problem. The buds located lower on the crown are the ones you really want to train for your crop and usually take some extra time to sprout after that first flush of growth occurs. I doubt if you would damage any of the lower ones by a quick burn on the surface, but I've never done it so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I'm with Mr. B-Hoppy. For sure 2nd year or older it wouldn't be a problem (unless it was a really weak plant). On first year, it may take your chances of getting a first year harvest from slim to dang-near-none...but something else would have screwed up the harvest anyway.

Why the funk do you burn your garden? :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Your risk depends upon fuel load, fuel moisture content, length of burn time, soil moisture, and soil organic content.
Are the hops important to you?

Why the funk do you burn your garden? :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So he can destroy any harmful organisms that might be present, powdery mildew inoculum, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back