Can u step up a starter and equal 2 smack packs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
Rookie here. Have 2L starter. Can I step it up and equal the cell count of two packs? Is that possible with a 2L flask?

Yes try yeastcalc.com. Mess with the numbers both in the first and second step as yeast growth is not linear. Take care!

So the first step is my original starter? According to this if I step it up I will have more than I need. Hmmm. How close is close enough?

The actual cell count can be pretty far off from the calculators, but the closer you get the numbers the better. 50% difference from calculated to actual is not uncommon.

1 smack pack with 100g of DME in 1 liter of water will yield about 2 packs worth in one to two days.

On those calculator sites, it has me making a 2L starter. Would I make both it and the step up 2L?
I do have a stir plate.

If you are using a stir plate the best cell count estimator I know of is Kai's on Brewers Friend. It's the only one I know of that has real measurements backing the cell count estimations.

When you step it up, is there enough yeast nutrient in a Wyeast smack pack? Or do you add some nutrient? I have some. But not sure if necessary.

DME has just about everything yeast needs. If you are using tap water then it will have the calcium as well. No need for yeast nutrients.

Back