Can this be done? DIY gas manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't fill your kegs above the level of the gas-in tube, you shouldn't get any beer into your regulator. Other than that, what else are the check valves good for that the shut-offs can't do?

Fingers said:
If you don't fill your kegs above the level of the gas-in tube, you shouldn't get any beer into your regulator. Other than that, what else are the check valves good for that the shut-offs can't do?
I use check valves. Learned my lesson.

I don’t over fill my kegs, but I do fill them up with very little room to spare regarding the gas dip tube. It only takes a small amount of beer getting sloshed up into that tube (shaking, moving, jostling…) and then a slight imbalance in your keg pressures for that drop (or more) to get pushed backwards in the system. At $3.00 apiece, they’re a nice safe guard.

As an added measure of safety, use clear tubing. If you use the opaque kind, you'll never know how close you've come to averting disaster.

Nothing like flogging a dead thread but ChiCompany has great prices on these manifolds. About $38 for the four port with check valves. Also expandable.

Back