Can somebody look at my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selliott97

Reaction score
I have the below recipe for a Nutty Brown Ale and I am a little confused about when to add my sugars and what sugar to add or if I should add any at all. From previous experience with a Belgian Abbey Ale, I added Belgian Candy Sugar at the start of the boil but this recipe doesn't list any sugars. Is it because it is an all grain brew and the grains will provide the necessary sugars or is it just a poor recipe? I have corn sugar on hand and assume that a certain amount will need to be added at some point but just not sure. I know that all grain brewing is something I probably shouldn't be jumping into until I get a few more brews under my belt but I couldn't resist. Any advice would be much appreciated!

All Grain Recipe - Nutty Brown Ale ::: 1.042/1.011 (5 Gal)
Grain Bill
7.5 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/4 lb. - Chocolate Malt

Hop Schedule (25 IBU)
1/2 oz - Target hops (60 min.)
1 oz - Kent Goldings hops (5 min.)

Yeast
White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 152° to 154° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for a total of 90 Minutes
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

Few all grain recipes have simple sugars as an ingredient. Certainly nothing with a 1042 OG.

Are you set for an all grain session (mash tun, wort chiller, full boil kettle?)

I only ask because if you are asking about adding sugar to an all grain recipe, you may not have all the facts laid out yet. :mug:

That grain bill looks fine to me. I personally would not use any sugar, but I know a lot of English recipes call for sugar so you would still be in style if you choose to do so.

Adding sugar will increase the alcohol content and thin the body somewhat. If that is what you want, then go for it.

The sugar can be added at any time during the boil.

Few all grain recipes have simple sugars as an ingredient. Certainly nothing with a 1042 OG.

Are you set for an all grain session (mash tun, wort chiller, full boil kettle?)

I only ask because if you are asking about adding sugar to an all grain recipe, you may not have all the facts laid out yet. :mug:

I have done plenty of research and by no means do I think that makes me an expert, and I will admit that I do not have all the proper equipment, yet, so I wanted to see how it would turn out when done similar to extract brewing, just to see how it turns out. The main item I do not have is the wort chiller so I was planning on putting it in the bath tub with ice water. I guess you could say this is more experimental, mostly for the learning experience. I do however plan on fabricating a wort chiller for futrue all grain brews. I just wasn't sure about the sugars as all grain brewing is new for me.

Back