Can my wort correction factor really be 1.0?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I've done 2 batches with my new refractometer and following the instructions on the wiki I have calculated my wort correction. They have both come out as 1.00xx. If I carry the number out far enough I get discrepencies, but not as far as the 100ths place. I used distilled water to calibrate my refractometer so I am pretty sure that the values are good. Anyone else have this happen before? Just want to make sure I am getting good readings.

Seems odd in both cases, since the correction is to correct for anything in water other than sugar. 1.0000 means that you have purely water and sugar... less than 1.000 means... well... I have no idea!

Since your wort ALWAYS has more than water and sugar in it, you should therefore ALWAYS have a correction factor greater than 1.0000

In reality, if your SG seems close enough, it is close enough. Mine is 1.055

What are you using to determine your correction factor? A trusted hydrometer?

I just did a bunch of mini tests yesterday with different coloured worts at different gravities.

I don't have the numbers with me now but my results ranged from something like 0.89XX for a 1.035ish wort to about 1.04XX for a 1.065ish wort. Quite a big range.

Yes, I am using a hydrometer from my lhbs. It has been very close to the projected og when I did extract only. I guess I will have to keep using it and see how it does over time. I'll just keep checking it against my hydrometer.

Back