Can Medicinal Herbs Be Added To Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daqvhi8

Reaction score
Is it possible to add medicinal herbs such as rosemary during the fermentation process while keeping the healing properties of the herb?

Yes to the first part, but don't know for the second.

To ascertain that you'd have to know the exact "healing" properties, the substance in the herb that gives the result/relief and then make a batch to see it avoids chance from the fermentation and have it analysed to confirm its presence. Or even make a base batch then flavour it with the herb then analyse to make sure its got the substance from the herb and that its presence hasn't changed it etc.....

Of course if you're not ascribing any kind of healing property then of course you just use them for a methyglin recipe.....

I put elderberries in some of my meads, havent gotten the flu since! I would bet ginger would also keep its healing powers, as well as chamomile. WVMJ

I have a friend just south of me in Washington state using some recently legalized medicinal grade sativa strain to make some wacky dessert mead. He tasted some out of the carboy and verified the 'medicinal properties' were, indeed, intact. Hope this helps.

My chemistry isn't that good, but I think most of the potentially biologically active compounds will extract from the rosemary in the presence of alcohol. I don't think they are fermentable. None of the compounds have any notes about being particularly prone to break down.

I'd give it a "probably".

Though I would question the net health effect of a rosemary infused beer. Alcohol being bad for you and all. There is also the possibility that something else produced in the fermentation will react with desirable compounds and you will lose any positive effects from that reaction.

I don't know of anyone who has tried this, though the note on the wikipedia page on Hungary water seems promising.

-----snip-----

Though I would question the net health effect of a rosemary infused beer. Alcohol being bad for you and all. There is also the possibility that something else produced in the fermentation will react with desirable compounds and you will lose any positive effects from that reaction.

-----/snip-----
Which is my point exactly. To ascribe any medicinal/healing properties to something requires very strict/stringent testing to confirm the presence of any "healing" or medicinal compound(s) otherwise it's no better than the fairy story that is homeopathy.

Whereas to use herbs/spices etc just for aroma and flavouring is an entirely different matter. Some of the colour/flavour would/could be extracted by alcohol, some by water immersion, but some are extracted with heat, etc etc.

So it would just be trial and error as to how much and of which varieties might be needed as to the depth of flavour and colour.

Hell, if you think of stuff that has some sort of healing property/ability maggots can still be found to be of use for open wounds etc, but you sure as hell wouldn't want a maggot flavoured mead.

Hence I'd say just follow a few recipes in small(er) batches to find a methyglin that you like with the herbs etc that you have available, then just use those for colour, flavour or aroma.......

Back