Can I use this wire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCanFly

Reaction score
My brewery is in the garage, and my main panel is about 50' away on the back of the house. The brewery will have two 5500 watt elements (1 element running at a time) and 2 pumps. I have a 50 amp spa panel that I will be using. I'd like to get all 50 amps to the garage, but cost is a big issue. My father in-law gave me a bunch of wire that he had laying around, and I'd love to use it, but I'm not sure if I can or not. It's 8awg. Do you think I can use it?
wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

8awg copper - THHN or THWN is A-Ok for 50A. Keep in mind that you will need to run it in conduit as you will be runing wire not a cable.

So I'll have 3 strands of this plus a bare wire for ground in the conduit. does the groung also have to be 8awg?

My brewery is in the garage, and my main panel is about 50' away on the back of the house. The brewery will have two 5500 watt elements (1 element running at a time) and 2 pumps. I have a 50 amp spa panel that I will be using. I'd like to get all 50 amps to the garage, but cost is a big issue. My father in-law gave me a bunch of wire that he had laying around, and I'd love to use it, but I'm not sure if I can or not. It's 8awg. Do you think I can use it?
wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

Not sure about the electrical codes in Texas, but I installed a double pole 50amp breaker in my house panel box to feed a sub-panel in my detached garage 45' from my house and I was told by several licenced electritions in my area (Western NY) to use #6 wire in conduit a minimum of 2.5 feet deep in the ground. I now have 50amp service in my garage for my brewery. Good luck with yours.

Not sure about the electrical codes in Texas, but I installed a double pole 50amp breaker in my house panel box to feed a sub-panel in my detached garage 45' from my house and I was told by several licenced electritions in my area (Western NY) to use #6 wire in conduit a minimum of 2.5 feet deep in the ground. I now have 50amp service in my garage for my brewery. Good luck with yours.
The wire gauge depends on the rating of the conductor and the insulation used.

Wire Ampacity Tables
Take a look at the table and do a cross on THHN type copper - wire size #8. It's rated for 55A up to 90°C.
More than enough.

Back