Can I use the Line they sell at Lowes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mateo

Reaction score
I am getting some new line today and wanted to know if its OK to use the line they sell at Lowes for tap line?

I use it for everything else, but nothing under pressure.

m.

I am not sure that it won't impart a flavor in your beer on the way to the tap. I would stick with a rated beverage line. Plus, it is very thin walled tubing. Saving a few cents per foot only to have it rupture in the middle of the night and dump the contents of your corny in the bottom of the fridge would not be much of a savings.

Beverage tubing is unique because of it's extra smooth inner walls that have virtually no defects. Defects in the inner wall will cause the co2 to come out of solution while traveling to the taps, and can cause excess foaming. I would spend a few extra dollars and get yourself the beverage tubing from a home brew shop.

Can't tell without seeing it, but there is a possibility that it is the same tubing you would get from your LHBS. If it says NSF-51 on it you are golden.

If you are going to try it, make sure you get the 3/16" ID.

I got an awful plastic taste with that stuff, had to go to tygon. I know some people use it without any problems though. It's not that expensive, so you're not out that much if you try it and need to upgrade to beverage line afterwards.

All of my vinyl line comes from Lowes: gas line, beer line, siphon lines.

I have never noticed any off flavors or smells, but I do flush them with oxy water before use.

Back