Can I use S04 with this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
Its been brutally hot here in Maryland and I ordered ingredients and forgot to add ice packs to my order for the yeast. I have some Dry S04 in the fridge. Will this completely change the flavor profile? I was planning on using W1056, but I don't think with the over 100 degree temps we are getting here it will survive the trip from Georgia to Maryland. I looked to order some S05 dry, but shipping is way too much for just some yeast and I need it by this weekend anyhow. Thoughts????????????

Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

7 lbs Pale Ale Malt (2 row) - Briess (3.4 SRM) Grain 1 55.2 %
11.0 oz Special B (148.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.4 %
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [125.00 Yeast 13 -
5 lbs Munich II (Weyermann) (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 39.4 %
0.60 oz Chinook [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 21.0 IBUs
0.15 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 50.0 min Hop 5 2.4 IBUs
0.10 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 6 1.5 IBUs
0.15 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 7 2.2 IBUs
0.20 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 8 2.8 IBUs
0.40 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 5.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 11.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 8.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 10.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

I've used S04 in a few pale ales when S05 wasn't available at my LHBS with good results. If I were you I'd just go for it with the S04 that you have on hand. RDWHAHB...what's the worst that could happen (famous last words).

Another option you could do is make a starter with your 1056 when it arrives, and see if you can notice any off flavors from that. If it seems good use it, but I'm definitely not the expert on viability/reliability of yeast after being shipped that hot. Someone else here can probably give some more sound advice. Good luck!

Thanks!!! That's what I am thinking. I am thinking my W1056 may survive, but at what cost? I will know by smacking the pack, but wonder if the pack does swell are the yeast inside too stressed and will produce off flavors. I am really looking forward to this beer, so if there's something in the process I can control, I would hate to not control it.

I normally us US-05 for my IPAs, but used US-04 about a month ago. I just pitch my dry yeast straight into the wort. The US-04 fermented high, upper 70s, and for a few days I saw no airlock action, but a peak inside showed evidence of krausen. Seven days later, a hydrometer reading proved my yeast was working. The odd thing was that when I racked into a secondary, the airlock began to bubble for a few days.

Anyways, the IPA turned out fine.

Making a starter with your liquid should work. Usually the liquid yeast gets cooled and warmed up a bit before it hits the shelves in the store. And when you think about it, if some die off from the heat, you are getting the strong ones that survived the process.

Unlike above poster, when I've used S04 above 70F I hated the fruity esters. As long as I use it in the mid 60's I'm pretty happy with the results.

Unlike above poster, when I've used S04 above 70F I hated the fruity esters. As long as I use it in the mid 60's I'm pretty happy with the results.

Well, I made an IPA/APA with about 2 oz of hops, to the flavor suited me well. I think with all the Cascade and Amarillo hops, and fruity easters produced should add to the flavor, not distract from it.

Where in MD are you? There's a LHBS in Newark, DE that you could go to if it's not too far. Look up "How Do You Brew."

I am in towson. About an hour or so from DE. I have two stores about 45 minutes each from me in MD, but its finding the time to get there. This time of year I can't make it to them with the traffic by the time they close.

I personally can really taste the yeast flavour put off by S04.

If it were me I'd run to the LHBS and get the smack pack you want. I go to annapolis home brew all the time. They've always got smack packs in stock.

I have ordered several liquid strains in the heat of the summer without ice packs. I'm in PA so about the same shipping time as you from Georgia. Step it up with a small starter first then pitch into a larger one. I have never had an issue with off flavors or anything. You will know within a day if your yeast is still viable or not. Good luck.

Back