Can I use Braggs ACV as my yeast instead of commercial yeast to make hard cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariel

Reaction score
I watched some videos that showed you could make cider with a 100% apple juice you buy from a store. You add the commercial yeast, maybe some sugar, test with a hydrometer, put the air lock and wait for it to finish fermenting. My question is could Braggs ACV be used instead of commercial yeast?

Im basing it off the basic idea of this recipe:

ACV=Apple cider vinegar? Nope, sorry that's not going to be a good substitute for yeast.. Can't get any decent commercial yeast? Make a starter with some commercial apple juice ( no preservatives) and chop up a variety of whatever apples you can get. The apples will have some yeast in/on them and get your apple juice going, gradually add some more juice, however, its hard to tell what you're going to get, some wild yeast ferments come out good, some not so good, so you're better off getting a commercial yeast of some kind.

I have found which yeast I use to be one of the most important considerations for what kind of flavors I get in the end product. I'd be hard pressed to go random with wild yeast these days. I've done it, never quite know what yer gonna end up with.

You certainly can make cider from store bought juice. This is my 8th and 9th 5-gallon batches. I haven’t yet made cider from orchard or other fresh pressed juice yet actually.
F4E2798F-4066-4879-AF93-C20E3E451020.jpeg

Get some commercial yeast. And skip the added sugar and try it without, at least at first. My cider usually ends up at 6.3% with no added sugar, adding sugar will increase ABV but usually makes it taste worse.

I’d also change that order, test with hydrometer before adding yeast (if you want to test). And pour off a cup, re-cap and shake the juice to oxygenate it before adding yeast as well. You can ferment right in the jugs it comes in or pour into a larger carboy for a larger batch.

Back