Can I throw together a grain bill with these leftovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ap0352

Reaction score
I have a hodgepodge of leftover grains I'd like to use before they get too old.
Can I throw together a Hazy NEIPA with this? I usually just follow an online recipe so no clue if any of these will achieve that style.
If not, I'll make a run to my HBS.

5lbs of 2-Row
6lbs of Golden Promise
.5lb of Marris Otter
.5lb of Acid Malt
.5lb of Pale Wheat
.5lb of Carafoam
6lbs of Flaked Oats
1lb of White Wheat
.5lb of Viking Pilsner

14oz of Mosaic
8oz of El Dorado
12oz of Citra
2oz of Cascade
2oz of Sabro Lupo
8oz of NZH-107

5# 2 Row
5# GP
3# Flaked Oats
1# White Wheat
0.5# Pilsner
0.5# Carafoam

Should get you in the 1.063-1.065 range, depending on your system.

I'd go Citra Mosaic or Citra El Dorado late in the boil ie 5-10 min, then a nice large WP for about 20-25 min 175F. Total of 6-8oz dry hop.

Last edited:
all that in one beer?

Why not?

Lot o hops thou
Lol didn't plan on trying to use it all. Just wanted to see if I could throw something together with some of it.
Plenty of hops available for sure.

I just did something similar and wanted to try a new grain mill while cleaning up not only 10lbs of grains, but some LME and DME, and various hops. It had an OG of almost 1.09, so I topped off with water until I ran out of what I felt was sufficient headspace in an All Rounder (roughly 30l). Then it was 1.08. So I started it with dry pitching 12g of SAF-05 yeast and pressure fermented at 10psi. The ferment stalled at 1.03. Using a calculator I was led to believe I needed more yeast, so I made some starter from DME and 8 grams of SAF-05 on a magnetic stir plate. That did not restart the ferment. So I then filtered it through a 1 micron filter and racked it into a corny keg. The excess went into PET bottles. The result is a 'big beer' stout that I force carbonate just before consumption as required. It seems to have turned out surprisingly well in spite of the very unconventional seat of the pants recipe that I often thought would be getting poured down the drain.

Carafoam goes in almost every beer I make. I friggin love it. Not Carapils, but German Carafoam. Especially in NEIPAs.
Do you use it for better foam?

Bamforth did measurement and found caramel/crystal malts in general hurt foam (I just was at an AHA webinar on this), but I can’t recall whether he looked at CaraFoam or CaraPils.

Brulosophy (who are admittedly not Bamforth) found CaraFoam to be a nothingburger at 10%.

My “throw it out” suggestion was based on my experience with CaraPils, so I’m open to the possibility CaraFoam is a better product.

On the other hand, adding 5-10% wheat to the grist will absolutely improve foam.

Do you use it for better foam?

Bamforth did measurement and found caramel/crystal malts in general hurt foam (I just was at an AHA webinar on this), but I can’t recall whether he looked at CaraFoam or CaraPils.

Brulosophy (who are admittedly not Bamforth) found CaraFoam to be a nothingburger at 10%.

My “throw it out” suggestion was based on my experience with CaraPils, so I’m open to the possibility CaraFoam is a better product.

On the other hand, adding 5-10% wheat to the grist will absolutely improve foam.
That's how I feel about Carapils. But Carafoam, even though it's claimed to be the same thing, is not the same thing. Carapils is a touch darker, and to me has a crystal-like flavor to it. Carafoam acts more like white wheat, at last for my brews.

I use it for body and foam. Could be purely anecdotal, but it's doing something for me!

"Unlike Carapils, Carafoam is not a true crystal malt. Carafoam is only about 2.5% crystal or glassy – meaning it's more similar to a base malt than a crystal malt."

Back