Can I stir up a trub cone with an immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cskid

Reaction score
I would like to manually stir my boiling wort about ten minutes before its complete in order to create a cone of trub at the bottom and center of my kettle. I do not have any pumps or whirlpool set ups. I stir manually with a paddle. I place my immersion chiller in the boil for the last 10 mins for sanitation purposes. After stirring my wort does anyone see the immersion chiller interfering with the trub cone that I would like to create? Can it be done? Any help would be great. Thanks.

What I do is put the immersion chiller in the boil 15 min before flameout. At flameout I kill the heat and start the chiller. Get it down to temp and pull my chiller and stir like crazy for a few minutes. Than I put the lid on and let it sit for 10 minutes or so to form the cone. I don't get a great cone but it does work fairly well.

I run a pump from the last 15 minutes of the boil through chilling with the immersion chiller sitting in the kettle and I always end up with a well formed trub cone. You should be fine without having to pull it out.

Stirring your boiling wort isn't going to accomplish much, if anything. You need to stir after the heat is turned off with something that has been sanitized (either by the boiling wort or a santizer). The boiling action just won't let the trub/hop material settle. I use an immersion chiller as well as a whirlpool using my pump. Makes a nice cone of material in the bottom of the kettle.

Boiling is a convection process (i think? lol) and will stay in movement, thus u cannot "settle" trub while boiling.

Also you should be moving the chiller around to get maximum cooling efficiency after the boil finishes.
Once i finish cooling, remove the chiller, whirlpool (with paddle), put lid on, and clean/put away everything used during brewday
At that point ~20min later the trub has all dropped out and settled in the center.
Make sure you have a side pickup installed.

Thanks everyone. Great info.

Johnnyhitch1, any recommendations or build tips for the side pickup? That is exactly what I am looking to do.

Latest posts

Back