Can I Save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMouseRan

Reaction score
About 7 months ago I bought a 5 gallon plastic carboy and set up a beginner fermentation with Honey from a local farm and oranges I had peeled and pureed. I used activated sweet wine yeast I bought from the local brew store, and shortly afterward had to move out of my parents.

I recently reclaimed my intro to mead project, which has sat in this original Carboy all this time. My question is... do you think she'll come out alright?

I'm looking at getting five 1 gallon glass carboys and some polyseal lids to transfer it into. From there I can spice each of them differently. But I wonder if it'll all be a waste because I never transferred into secondary and tertiary containers. Or because she's probably flat. If she's flat can I drop some dry ice (Solid CO2) in her to re-carbonate ze mead?

I don't want this to all the a waste :(

Cheers & Thanks For Looking! :mug:

It should be flat. Nothing wrong with it being flat either. Carbonating a vessel that isn't designed to hold it usually means exploded glass, so I wouldn't go that route.

Just rack it off the lees into new a new container(s), and add whatever spices you want.

Most meads are flat or "still" as we call it when it's on purpose. It should be fine. I usually leave my meads in primary that long on purpose.

If you want it carbonated, bottle it in beer bottles with a little corn sugar. You may want to sprinkle in a few grains of dry yeast as well.

Back