Can I reuse my IO star sanitizer with my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beltvahle

Reaction score
Hi,
this might be a basic question, but here goes: I brewed a 5 gallon batch of beer the other night and made 5 gallons of sanitizer with one ounce of IO Star in my primary. I was wondering if I could transfer a gallon or two of the sanitizer to my secondary (clean 5 gallon glass carboy) and leave it there for the 5 or 6 days before transferring? The idea here is that I would maximize the use of the sanitizer (which is clear and not 'dirty' in my estimation). I currently have a gallon or so in my secondary and am wondering if I can sanitize it by sloshing it around just prior to transferring? Does this make sense? Any feedback appreciated.

A) You don't need to make 5g of sanitizer each time you brew. Make a bout a gallon or so and you can put in bucket/carboy and shake around to sanitize. And you can put in a spray bottle to get small parts/hard to reach places.

B) Iodine based sanitizes lose their sanitizing properties fairly quickly, you would have to do more research to find out how fast. I would just dump it out and make a gallon at a time to sanitize carboys at the time you need them sanitized.

Star-San (acid based sanitizer) does last much longer once mixed with water.

Latest posts

Back