Can I pull this off...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the rap;

I wanna brew NB's Surly Bender All-Grain Kit.

Couple questions,

1. The recipe calls for 12.5 lbs of grain. I use a 5 gallon round cooler mash tun with a steel braid and I batch sparge. Will my tun handle all that?

2. I have some 1335 in the fridge that I washed on 11/8/12. Do you think that yeast is still good if I step up a couple of starters before brewing? ...advice on stepping up my starters? I'm pretty confident that my sanitation is good and I followed the yeast washing sticky exactly.

...My knowledge of pitching rates is slim to none so any good links to help me there are appreciated (Sorry if I'm missing a sticky or something, I haven't actually put much effort into educating myself on the subject, but I plan to.)

this thread is INVALUABLE answering #1

you'd have to go thicker than 1.25 qt/lb, and 1.060 might be a bit too big

read thru it for more help too... lots of good stuff in there.

wish I could help you on #2, I'm still shiny and have only pitched fresh with no starters

Thanks, I also found this calculator.

Seems like it'd be cutting it pretty close, but I think it's doable... I've always mashed all of my grains, no matter what they are. Perhaps I could keep a couple ingredients separate and steep them. Any input on that idea?

So... Forgive me if I sound stupid, but is there reason why the Mr. Malty calculator doesn't give starter size references on pitching from slurry?

Because your not making a starter your pitching from slury ie what's left at the bottom of your fermenter when you rack your finished beer out of it.

Back