Can I plant a root cutting? Not a Rhizome?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have some second year cascade plants, and a pride of ringwood plant (I'd wager one of the few, if not the only one in North America) that have sprung up these past couple of weeks.

Yesterday I dug them up (they're in planters), but not around the main shoots, and I took a couple of 4 inch cuttings of the roots from each plant. They didn't have any buds on them, but at the time, I didn't think that mattered.

Now i'm second guessing myself. Will these root cuttings sprout buds and make plants? Or do I need to have at it again?

Thanks! :mug:

If they're true roots, nothing will sprout from them except maybe a few tiny root hairs before they die. Sometimes rhizomes have buds at the nodes so small they're barely detectable. If that's the case (you actually do have a rhizome, then yes, they can sprout and grow clone plants for you). Have to make sure they're actually rhizomes first.

Just cut a bine, place it in a cup of water for a couple of weeks until it starts growing root hairs at the bottom of the stem and plant that.

I just started a thread about this before reading yours. I planted mine and got a clone : )

I just started a thread about this before reading yours. I planted mine and got a clone : )
fyi all hops are clones (at least the ones that we grow).

every cascade is a direct descendent of a single plant, same for every other variety. they're all propagated via rhizomes which means the "child" is the exact same plant as the "mother" (so technically child and mother doesn't really work here, its more like mother and mother).

how do you tell the difference between a root and a rhizome if you purchased them?

Hopefully, you'll have purchased them from a reputable source and won't have to worry. Once you work with hops for a while you can easily tell the difference. Most of the time, the rhizomes will have very noticeable buds/eyes on them but sometimes they're kinda underdeveloped and to the untrained eye can be confused. It takes a little time but you'll catch on.

Back