Can I make twist-offs work somehow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a bench capper they are no problem.

edit: I wouldn't try it with a wing capper though, chances are you'll shatter the top.

most of my bottles are twist offs and I have broken every clear glass (except sleemans), not by capping but by uncapping. I loose 4 to 6 brown 12 ounze bottles per batch too. The best clear glass is Sleemans honey brown ale bottles, they are built like a tank...thick, thick glass.

They do seem kind of thin. I wouldn't want to waste the sweet nectar by shattering a freshly filled bottle. I'll just pitch them.

By the way, Summit EPA is drinkable. However, Summit IPA is awful. No hop aroma up front and fairly plain at first then a bitter after taste that stays in the back of me froat.

And I like hop bombs.

Just make sure you have a good seal. If the cap stays firm when you try to twist it a little, you are fine.

This could just be my experience but I feel like you get "one good cap" out of a twistoff bottle with a wing capper. I've never broken the neck on a twist-off unless I was reusing it after it was used in a HB batch.

Back