Can I make this out of a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignatedDecoy

Reaction score
How would I make this out of a keg? particularly the lid. can't figure that one out. With space being a premium it'd be nice to have a mash tun/fermenter/boil kettle hybrid.
WGHB15CL-LEGS-16.7-Gallon-Wort-Grant-Hop-Back.html

keg?.jpg

I'll be that guy...

Sure, if you throw the keg away and start with an empty credit card and the Stout website.

But really, I think you're asking for more problems than you want to deal with, can't hurt to try though I guess.

Well, you could cut the lid off a keg, then cut a smaller hole on another keg and use the top from the first as a lid for the second. It already has a connector that will fit a 2" tri clamp.

I'm sorry, but if you have ask direction, it's beyond your skill set.
Why not just ask the welder that would actually fabricate it from scratch? They can tell you what it will cost at the same time.

TIG welding SS isn't for new welders. I've been welding for years now and I'm still not attempting to do a sanitary weld on my fermentor. Brew stand, HLT, BK no problem, but not for my fermentor!

Welding mild (aka regular) steel is a piece of cake. Stainless is a b*tch.

So yeah, with all those ports on the Stout device, it'll be much cheaper (and easier) just to buy it from them. Of course if you need a reason to drop $2k on a sweet TIG setup....

It may be possible, but I honestly don't see how it would save you any real money in the long run versus just buying one of the SS hybrid pots from the Stout website.

Not much of a welder but SS with TIG is the easiest that I have done. Doing beads on thin aluminum with filler rod different story.

Depends, do you need the fancy ports and cover? WilserBrewer (sp?) who sells the BIAB bags, said that he sometimes ferments in his boil kettle. I do not know if he has ports or openings other than the top.

Seems like you could boil - chill - pitch - cover and end up with beer in your keg. Make a lid out of anything you can sanitize and will form a reasonable seal on the top. Big piece of flat plastic? oversized cutting board? Extra long siphon to transfer to serving keg or bottle bucket. Done and done.

Some people ferment with a towel soaked in starsan placed on top of their bucket, so as long as you keep things from blowing or dropping into the fermenting wort, you should be good to go.

Yes I may need a welder for the lid (the rest I can silver solder).

So here's the million dollar question:

Does anyone know where I could source JUST the lid and clamping hardware? or... where I can source a giant ferrule or nut&bolt (the size of the keg's diameter)? If i had that hardware, I'm sure a welder could make it happen. I've been looking everywhere for this hardware and can't find anything.

Ferrule - nut/bolt - lid/clamp hardware:
t_2516.jpgScrewTopPotModel.jpg0135b91d3dc184f5af2ef48a9d5bf98460bece3351.jpg

..........and thank you so much for all the replies. I greatly appreciate it.

Back