Can I make partial batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
Hello. I'm brand new. I have been interested in brewing my own beer for a while, and now I'm finally making the plunge. I bought my first kit this morning and I'm getting ready to have a go at it.

I have a quick question (the first of what should be many) before I start. I am wondering if I need to brew a full 5 gallon batch every time or if I can do smaller batches instead. I only have 51 bottles right now and I'd prefer to start off with two different styles if I could.

If I did brew two different batches, would I have to make some changes in the steps to account for the smaller volume?

I'm excited to read these forums extensively and pick up loads of knowledge. I'm sure this will be an exciting experience.

Welcome to the hobby and the board!

You can TOTALLY do partial batches. I just did a 2.5 gallon batch on Kolsch. Just scale all the ingredients and amount of water with the size. As most recipes are for 5 gallons, if you did a 2.5 gallon batch then just use half the hops / grains / extract / water. If using liquid yeast still use the entire pack, if using dry yeast then you can scale the yeast back as well.

I used a 6.5 gallon bucket for fermentation for the 2.5 gallon batch, and there was no issue with air in there as fermentation produces enough CO2 to displace the air in there.

When you say your first kit and 2 styles, are you wanting to do 2 styles from that one kit? Or going to brew that one batch, and in the future do partial batches?

Thank you for the speedy response.

Sorry for the confusion, but by kit I meant the brewing equipment. I want to try to make my beers from scratch instead of using ingredient kits. Experimentation is one of the big draws to homebrewing for me.

The plan would be to create and bottle a 2.5 gallon batch, wash all the equipment and go right into making another 2.5 gallon batch. My girlfriend wants an English dark and honestly that's not really my cup of tea. I'd rather start with an IPA or another similarly hoppy beer. This way we're both happy.

You can totally split the batches. If you look around the forum you'll find that people often do smaller batches down to about 1 gallon. Often they will do a couple of different boils and alter the yeast/hop profile on top of the same grain bill and see what works out best. Starting off small is the way to go, that when if/when you mess up a batch it doesn't take you too long to get through it!

Cool! So make hers and then yours, or the other way around. If you have 2 fermenters (buckets or glass carboys), you could have both going at the same time. I would normally say use the yeast cake from one to do the other (bottle one batch the same day you are brewing the second), but is the styles are different enough then it is probably best to just use fresh yeast. And, the pitching on the yeast-cake is a debated topic here.

So there is no change in the process. A half batch is actually quicker to do as the water boils a lot faster. Ingredient kits are never bad, but go ahead and find a recipe and put it together yourself at the LHBS. Is a lot of fun.

By the time your second batch is ready to bottle your first will be ready to drink, which is a magical timing.

well...
I believe only difference in hassle/work/trouble brewing 2.5 gallon batch and 5 gallon batch is... basically... amount of water, and, keep in mind that it will take minimu 2 weeks to ferment the brew, so it gives plenty time to prepare for bottling/ect.

while 5 gallon MAY seem like A LOT... it is not :D, trust me!

I can advice 2 things:
1) brew dark ale to please your GF - think about this like a good long term investment!
2) find a style that you both enjoy and make it

:D

have fun!

Unless you don't have the equipment, I'd suggest going the whole 9 yards and do two 5 gallon batches. I'm confident you could come up with another 50 bottles in 3-4 weeks when the beer is done fermenting.

And you're right. This will be an exciting experience. You will learn a lot on these forums. HBT.com is the best place in the world.

definitely.. 5 gallons is not as much as it sounds... 5 gal is only 50 beers.. by the time you drink a few and decide it's good.. you drink a few more with a couple friends and you're down to 24 beers.. then you have a few more and a couple friends come over and the beer is gone... not as much as you are thinking it is.. and it does keep for a while...

+1 to what Andy_LV says

above all keep her happy and life is better.. unless that sucks too much that way but that's a different forum.. :p

He wants to do a partial batch, then go for it. If you don't drink that much, 50 bottles can last quite some time.

Let us know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back