Can I leave orange peel in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howardbeach

Reaction score
I'm brewing a batch of wit beer. The instructions call for adding .75 oz coriander and 1 Oz. orange peel during boil. Do I put these in a mesh bag and remove after boil or do I just dump them in the boil and leave them in during the 2 week primary fermentation?

When you rack to the primary, assuming you do this, it will be left at the bottom of the kettle. If you just pour to the primary, ou should try to leave this stuff on the bottom by pouring slowly. If you do put them in using a hop bag, then remove the bag after the boil of course.

I do leave them all in, after weeks in the primary, they'll be at the bottom with the rest of the thrub anyways.

I have tried both ways and it seemed like there was more orange and coriander flavor when I left it in during the primary fermentation. I am not sure how the pros do it.

I read somwhere that leaving some trub in the primary is healthy for the yeast during fermentation.

Back