Can I Keg my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwaven

Reaction score
Hi all,

So this is still my first attempt at making cider from a kit.

(Brewers Best Spiced Apple to be specific)

The instructions that came with it basically say:
1. Ferment cider for 6 days (SG is 1.004 when finished)
2. Add some flavoring to it. Then bottle. (or I assume keg)

Now what I've done.

1. Ferment for 4-5 days (CO2 was slowed and SG was 1.009)
2. Transfer to secondary fermenter
-Noticed strong sulfur smell which I gather is normal
3. Gravity is now about 1.007
-I have not seen any activity for a while now. Sulfur smell is much much better.

So I've seen a lot of conflicting info hear and there. So not sure if I should have even done the secondary ferment.

However in my previous post I mentioned that the kit calls for using a 7.9G fermenter and I only have 5G ones. So my total liquid from the start would have been less than the kit numbers were based on. It was suggested that my SG would then be higher than the kits numbers. So with that said it would make sense that mine are in fact higher. :)

So trying to determine if I can transfer my cider from carboy to keg now and start to chill / carbonate it? I still plan to leave it sit in that state for at least a few more weeks. (or suggestions?)

Cheers!

Yes, if you have hit FG that is steady for several days, you may keg / force carb.

Hey Cyclman,

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I can tell it looks like FG has stayed the same. I will check again to be sure and if so then proceed to keg.

Cheers!

Back