Can I keg it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwillride17

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale exactly two weeks ago. I left it in the primary for six days. It fermented very fast and hot. It stopped bubbleing in two days. I racked to the secondary and have not seen a bubble since. here is my question, since it's been in the secondary for a week now and there has been no activity in the airlock for about 10-11 days can I keg it? I heard that a lot of the aging and conditioning occurs when the CO2 is dissolved in the beer. So, should I keg it and leave it for a few weeks, or should I just wait another week to keg it? This is my first batch, so I am a little impatient.

Thanks, Ryan

Yeah, you'll be fine kegging it now and force-carbonating it. It will age in the keg (if this is your first brew, it will start to get really good when there is one pint left, say in about two weeks... ;))

2-3 weeks is plenty. I'll leave the ale in the fermenter about that long and rack straight to the keg.

Thanks guys, I kegged it this afternoon and put the CO2 on at 20psi and shook it up. Took a taste this evening. It's not bad!! It needs some more time. Can't wait to try it in a few weeks!

Also, I have a 5 lb. tank. My gauge says that they only filled it to about 900psi. Is that normal? Seems too low.

1000 - 1200 psi would be about as full as your bottle could get. You should be able to push a few kegs (more than a few, really) with one bottle, even at 900 psi. Check thoroughly for leaks in case the bottle was completely full and has bled down since you opened the valve.

Back