Can I grow hops in climate like this...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzyvba

Reaction score
Here is the weather chart of my town: (around the year)

lopedia.png

The question is :

can I grow hops in this weather? or is it hot? or is it cold?

Is it cold enough for hops dormant stage?

Which hops variety can grow in this climate?

Thank you in advance

You could grow some hops.
Your selection of hops will be different than the American West-- but you may have great success with English varieties given your moderate winters that we just can't grow well.
I would reccommend looking at EKG and Fuggles.
But growers closer to you would know more.

Hops are much more dependent on light changes than weather. Is it humid & rainy? Then you want hops with high mildew resistance.

Better question is where are you located? They prefer at least 8 to 10 hours of sunshine a day, which is typical of locations north of 34 latitude.

Yes, it gets sunshine for 10 hours. my only concern is the dormant cold period in winter, I think it's not that cold for hops

You could grow some hops.
Your selection of hops will be different than the American West-- but you may have great success with English varieties given your moderate winters that we just can't grow well.
I would reccommend looking at EKG and Fuggles.
But growers closer to you would know more.

Thank you. I've made a little search. didn't find anyone growing hops in my town.

Hops are much more dependent on light changes than weather. Is it humid & rainy? Then you want hops with high mildew resistance.

It is 11 hours light. 13 hours dark. it's dry, rainy in early summer.
do you mean that dormant period is not that important to be cold.

It is important for it to be cold. That's part of the life cycle for hops. During the winter they vernalize. Many people grow hops where there's feet of snow covering them for months at a time and they perk up again the next year.

Where are you where the record high is the same all year? I'm assuming you're in Europe somewhere, or Australia.

Looks like my weather, and I can grow hops. I say yes, you are set up for it, brother. Grow!

Hop seeds need vernalization (per OSU High-alpha Breeding geeks), but the plants themselves do not. Since we grow hops from rhizomes, this isn't a factor.

It is important for it to be cold. That's part of the life cycle for hops. During the winter they vernalize. Many people grow hops where there's feet of snow covering them for months at a time and they perk up again the next year.

Where are you where the record high is the same all year? I'm assuming you're in Europe somewhere, or Australia.
You missed it. Actually I live in the Middle East, however, HOWEVER, my town lies on the top of the mountains, that's why it has a European like weather.(as many people says).

Looks like my weather, and I can grow hops. I say yes, you are set up for it, brother. Grow!
Thank so much, you won't believe how much I need to grow hops. I hope it works.

Hop seeds need vernalization (per OSU High-alpha Breeding geeks), but the plants themselves do not. Since we grow hops from rhizomes, this isn't a factor.
Thank you so much David, I hope that is the case.

It's never gotten above 99 and never below 29? And I thought I lived in a temperate climate!
LOL. Thank you so much

GVH_Dan
Andrea (thank you)
giligson

Thank you guys for the replies.

Back