Can I fix a bad mix in bulk prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmicJam

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the problem. I made my first all grain brew mashing in my 5gal boil kettle using a BIAB method. Only made a half batch because wanted to do a full boil and test boil off and other things like that.

After 3 weeks in primary (plastic bucket) I go to bottle with bulk priming like I usually do. This time however there is a huge amount of trub which was blocking the tap due to the BIAB. The beer still racked out of the tap although it was a very slow flow rate so I gave it a quick swirl with the tubing to help mix. I assumed that it was fine and started to bottle. I was wrong.

6 weeks later and all but the last bottle I filled are flat. The final bottle was a massive gusher and I think I'm pretty lucky it didnt explode. Now the beer is far from perfect anyway (eg I mashed too high and it didnt attenuate as much as i wanted) but can i just open each bottle, add some sugar and re-cap? Is it worth the effort?

I certainly learnt a great deal from this beer so even if it gets dumped it's sacrifice will allow future generations of beer to prosper. ;)

How did you add the sugar? Typically one would rack the beer to a bottling bucket that has already had the boiled sugar solution added to it, then bottle from there. If you just bottle out of the fermenter I'd guess you'd have issues with mixing/trub.

Thanks, and yes, perhaps i should have been clearer on my method. I did indeed make a sugar solution which was in a seperate bottling bucked that i racked onto. I was suggesting that the low flowrate caused less mixing in the bottling bucket. I have done the same for 2 beers in the past which flowed very fast which formed a nice whripool effect and had no issues.

I think that because the last bottle I filled was extremely carbonated that it rules out the chance that the yeast were unviable. Has anyone tried adding sugar to an already filled bottle then re-capping?

Uncap and use Carb Drops or Carb Tabs. It's a lot easier than using sugar IMHO.

I haven't used them, but from what I've read, that is your best bet.

For next time, in your bottling bucket, add the priming mix to the pail, then rack the beer into it, mixing it ever so gently, then bottle.

B

Back