Can I ferment in plastic juice bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbaldman

Reaction score
I have some 1 gallon glass jugs (Whole Foods cider jugs) I've been doing test batches in. Today I was looking at the Kirkland (Costco) plastic apple jug and was wondering if I could ferment in that. On the bottom there are two recycling triangles. One has the number 5 in it and reads "PP Compatible" and other has a 7 and reads "Other". Can I use these as one time disposable fermenters? Any reason I can't just pitch in some yeast, attach an airlock and go?

Stupor,
No reason I can see why you can't ferment in the plastic. My question is: what effect does alcohol have, if any upon the plastic? Will there be an interaction that you can actually taste? I have been buying some real cheap wine in glass gallons lately-$7.99. It's drinkable and I get a growler out of the deal. Good brewing to you!

Yes, you most certainly CAN ferment in plastic bottles. Somewhere on this board is a thread I started about that very thing.

I used #1 PETE apple juice bottles, and it worked out quite well. The ONLY thing that happened was the molded "hand-holds" popped out, due to the pressure of the carbonation.

On that thread, an engineer did mention that the "best" vessel for holding pressure is a cylinder. The rounder the plastic bottle, the better. I currently have my second batch of apfelwein carbonating in some 2-liter soda bottles and some 2-quart V-8 bottles.

glenn514:mug:

The thread is "Bottle-Carbing in #1 PETE"

Sounds good. I wasn't looking to carb in the plastic bottles, just do primary ferment. Time to clear out that spare bedroom. :cross:

Latest posts

Back