Can I Drink It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cbrewcrew

Reaction score
I made Drake's Landing Pale Ale. It was in primary about 2 weeks. It has been bottled for a week. It has cleared up and you can see straight through it in the bottle. I'm wondering how it would be if I put some in the fridge to try tonight. I was wanting to wait longer, but I have some people coming over tonight that want to try it out. Will it be pretty good or too sweet still and not worth trying a couple?

Reaction score
Depends. A week at room temp is enough to get it carbonated enough, but usually not fully unless it was really warm. Personally I would wait two weeks before serving it the public, but I have been known to pop open a tester bottle around a week, just to see if everything is progressing as it should.

BamaPhil

Reaction score
It will probably still be flat. I understand wanting to share some tonight, I'm the same way, but even if it had been bottled for 2-3 weeks you really need more than a day's worth of refrigeration to complete the carbonation. Just the other day I had a blue moon knockoff that had been in the fridge for an extra 3 or 4 days longer than when I last tried one, it was remarkable how much better it was.

Wait until you know you have a good product to share it, you wanna hook em for life, not turn them off of homebrew!

mikeoholic

Reaction score
Pop a bottle and see how it is. I've been known to be a little impatient when it comes to my beer too. I think you will get enough carb out of it.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Open one and you will be the first to know. There may be some carbonation or maybe not. I have never opened one earlier than 2 weeks, some were carbonated and some were not. ALL of them tasted better after 3 weeks or longer of bottle conditioning.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
Of course you can drink it. Just know that it will be better with 1-2 more weeks of conditioning in the bottle. As nukebrewer mentions above, there may be some carbonation after 1 week if your room temp has been on the warm side.

OP
C

cbrewcrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I may try one first. Probably just wait though.

flars

Reaction score
You can driink a pale ale fairly young. To much aging and the hop flavor and aroma will fade.
Pop one open. If you here a fair amount of CO2 escaping they are carbonated.
Three or four days before your guests arrive chill them to force the carbonation into solution.