Can i bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flucky07

Reaction score
I made a miller lite clone last saturday. It started fermenting 7 hours into the process!!! I was absolutly shocked how fast it reacted. It went so nuts that i had to make an emergency blowoff tube. it sounded like a train it was going so crazy. it was bubbling prolly continually every .3 seconds....yes .3 seconds...now my question it bubbles maybe once every 2-3 minutes and i was going to let it sit until saturday in primary. Do you think i can bottle after that or do you suggest putting in secondary for another week???

Eric

The secondary will clear it up better.

If you are making a miller lite clone, did you use a lager yeast? What temperature is it fermenting at? If you used an ale yeast, it won't taste anything like miller lite. If you did use lager yeast it should be lagered for a while. Either way, I wouldn't be in a hurry with it.

Brewsmith said:

If you are making a miller lite clone, did you use a lager yeast? What temperature is it fermenting at? If you used an ale yeast, it won't taste anything like miller lite. If you did use lager yeast it should be lagered for a while. Either way, I wouldn't be in a hurry with it.
Yea actually i did use lager yeast and to be exact it was very very dark when it was in its 1hr time in the fermenter. today it looks much much lighter...lighter than my hoegaarden clone actually...

Brewsmith said:

Yes but can i bottle in 1 week...its not doing anything right now...its not even bubbling
Eric

If you aren't going to use a secondary, the general rule of thumb is to keep it in the primary for 2 weeks. Remember that time is the biggest factor in homebrewing & until somebody invents a time machine, you really just need to wait it out. Your patience will be rewarded.

Since you used a lager yeast, that requires you to start the intial fermentation at a warmer temperature to kick off the process & then you lager it by keeping it between a specified temperature range (usually 48-58 degrees depending on your yeast strain).

edost said:
If you aren't going to use a secondary, the general rule of thumb is to keep it in the primary for 2 weeks. Remember that time is the biggest factor in homebrewing & until somebody invents a time machine, you really just need to wait it out. Your patience will be rewarded.

Since you used a lager yeast, that requires you to start the intial fermentation at a warmer temperature to kick off the process & then you lager it by keeping it between a specified temperature range (usually 48-58 degrees depending on your yeast strain).

ut oh well i really dont have anything to keep it temp controlled at 48-58 degrees so i am going to just let it at its 68 and see what happens...and by the way yes i am going to be using a secondary doing that this weekend.

Eric

Since you're going to secondary it, I would leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks and then bottle it and let it sit in the bottle for 3 weeks.

A good thing to do while you're waiting is brew more beer :) Brew another batch and put it in your primary and after a week put it in the secondary & brew a third. That should take your mind off of it a bit and give you the added bonus of having more stock on hand should you kick a brew.

edost said:
Since you're going to secondary it, I would leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks and then bottle it and let it sit in the bottle for 3 weeks.

A good thing to do while you're waiting is brew more beer :) Brew another batch and put it in your primary and after a week put it in the secondary & brew a third. That should take your mind off of it a bit and give you the added bonus of having more stock on hand should you kick a brew.
kewl. Yea im going to get another carboy and im going to do a pumpkin spice ale this weekend...

Eric

Back