Can I boil down my mash/ wort to make extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Brewer

The mad brewer
Reaction score
If I have extra grains and i would like to convert them to Syrup- extract for later use? Its that time of year where I'm cooking maple syrup and thought i wonder if the same process for reducing Maple sap to syrop would work for grains that I have malted and mashed?

I am concerned about storing grains long term and bugs.

I see three potential issues.
1. Botulism can survive a boil you'll need to pressure cook the syrup in order to make sure it's sterile.
2. Oxidation, how will you store the syrup so it doesn't come in contact with oxygen?
3. Staling, extract will go stale (see point 2) far before grains will (if stored properly).

Grains can keep for years if done right. It's difficult to store extract for that long and not see major problems with your beer.

I see three potential issues.
1. Botulism can survive a boil you'll need to pressure cook the syrup in order to make sure it's sterile.
2. Oxidation, how will you store the syrup so it doesn't come in contact with oxygen?
3. Staling, extract will go stale (see point 2) far before grains will (if stored properly).

Grains can keep for years if done right. It's difficult to store extract for that long and not see major problems with your beer.
When I boil Maple water- Sap, I boil sometimes hours to reduce it down, then at the end to a temp to 119 to ensure no water is left (cant get to that temp until all water is gone), then I jar it. I also do Pressure canning of things because of Botulism like soups with meats. The jars seal, So the 1st & 2 wouldn't be a problem, the going stale would be, if I go to the work of doing all this only have it stale would make it not worth it. So Thank you i will look into grain storage for long term. Still it intrigues me.

It would cost way more to do it that way. If you make starters for your yeast, I'd do a batch for that.
Cost is only a factor if I consider my Time, my wife surely doesn't, kidding :p. When I do Maple sap boils I do it outside over a fire and finish inside, so the cost because i would already be set up to do a maple syrup run (if I do it this time of year) its the time to boil down. Just say 10 gallons of Sap takes 8 hours or more (on my small set up). So time is a bigger factor to consider.

Still it intrigues me.
In the Basic Brewing Radio podcasts on Aug 25, 2005 & Nov 17, 2005, there is information on how DME/LME is made.

A couple of months ago, there were some topics in /r/homebrewing that discussed wort darkening as it was (rolling) boiled. Longer boils, stronger boils, and concentrated boils tend to produce a wort that can be diluted to the desired OG, but the color of the wort will remain darker after dilution.

I store grain in plastic food grade buckets that have lids with a flexible gasket and they seal really good. I've stored grain for years without problems, Although its better to use it up while its still fresh, malted grain doesn't really spoil, its been thoroughly dried. As mentioned above, keeping boiled wort from going bad would be more difficult problem to solve.

I store grain in plastic food grade buckets that have lids with a flexible gasket and they seal really good. I've stored grain for years without problems, Although its better to use it up while its still fresh, malted grain doesn't really spoil, its been thoroughly dried. As mentioned above, keeping boiled wort from going bad would be more difficult problem to solve.
That was going to be my next question on how to store the grains so you don't get bugs or mold. Just started searching the forum. Thx.

I think a better use of your grains would be to mash them in a smaller pot than your regular MT. Then use your pressure cooker at 15 psi to can and store for a later date for yeast starters.
This is what I do. I mash 1 pound of 2-row or pale malt with a little over 1 gal water in a pot with a SS screen and valve. After the mini mash I add a little yeast nutrient to 1 qt canning jars and then pressure can at the 15 psi for 15- 20 mins. This gets me 4 qts of starter wort that can be stored without refrigeration in a cool dark place. On occasion when I no-sparge mash I pour a gal of RO water on the leftover grains after the mash. This gets me about 1 gal of 1.032- 1.035 SG wort that goes on to the canner. I always have starter wort on hand and label the type of wort and date on the lid.
cheers

If just want to find a way to store malt you can use food grade buckets, vittle valts etc. Just make sure they are dried sufficiently before. I keep full sacks in a plastic tub with a lid and specialty malts in smaller amounts I vacuum seal and put in the tub with the sacks in a cool back bedroom.

Just brew more often and drink more ;)
I have use 2 year old malt (I had 2 years, no real idea how old it was when I got it) There is a difference. I kept in sealed plastic bins. but the malt does age. I would plan on 1 year volume if at all possible. I know I've 2 bags and it will be pushing it to use it all up by then..

Just brew more often and drink more ;)
I have use 2 year old malt (I had 2 years, no real idea how old it was when I got it) There is a difference. I kept in sealed plastic bins. but the malt does age. I would plan on 1 year volume if at all possible. I know I've 2 bags and it will be pushing it to use it all up by then..

<pulls out back of napkin...hmm...2 bags, about 100 lbs, about 10 batches, about 3 months, I would need more empty kegs and thirstier friends but I think I could do it>

<pulls out back of napkin...hmm...2 bags, about 100 lbs, about 10 batches, about 3 months, I would need more empty kegs and thirstier friends but I think I could do it>
Ha, I'm only one drinking, so I'm not guzzling a half gallon a day..... A pint or two, yep. gotta watch da liver

Back