Can I add water even though fermentation has started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
I asked this in another thread I posted but never received a response so I thought I would make its own post. I brewed an AG a couple of days ago and I boiled off to much water, and I had a OG of 1.07 instead of the 1.051 that I was suppose to. A few people suggested I add a gallon of water to get closer to the OG that I was suppose to have. But when I read these suggestions, the primary was already fermenting. So my question is when is it to late to add some extra water?

It's never too late. I'll top off as I'm racking into a keg if my volume is short and my gravity is high.

Just make sure to boil and cool the water first. And be gentle when adding the water so as not to aerate the beer. Once fermentation is under way...you want to avoid adding O2.

I thought to avoid aeration. Take your funnel stick your tubing to the bottom of it. Stick the tubing into the wort. Pour the water in. This should avoid aeration for the most part. Like BM said if you keg you can just top off then. But if your bottling you could just add water to your botting bucket. I would probably just boil my priming sugar with a gallon of water(or however much you said you needed). It would take longer to cool though.

Back