Can anyone tell me what this is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAWhiteFSU

Reaction score
This regulator looks unlike any I have seen. Any ideas?

IMG_0968.JPG

Some of our CO2 tank regulators have flow meters for metering the CO2 during rodent euthanasia.

I have only seen those on 02 cylinders.
But gas is gas right?
If you are concerned call your local Industrial Gas Company (Airgas is one I know but there are others)… they are the experts.
DPB

I'd vote that it's a single stage regulator connected to a flow meter (with flow control valve). It's extremely unlikely that it's an 02 regulator connected to a CO2 tank or anything like that. Regulator fittings are different depending on the type of gas they're designed for specifically to keep people from connecting the wrong type of regulator to a gas tank.

Yea, definitely a regulator with flow meter. You most often see flow meters on medical oxygen, but as this is a CO2 tank, it's definitely not an oxygen regulator. Oxygen tanks are threaded backwards.

Yea, definitely a regulator with flow meter. You most often see flow meters on medical oxygen, but as this is a CO2 tank, it's definitely not an oxygen regulator. Oxygen tanks are threaded backwards.

oxygen tank are not threaded backwards! I have 2 tanks and they have normal thread. It's slightly different size than co2.

Does it have any use for a homebrewer?

Not sure what sort of setup this is on, but some breweries will bubble CO2 up from the bottom of the fermenter for various reasons like agitating floculated yeast, driving off volatile compounds, etc...

If you were doing something like that then you'd want a flow meter on there so you knew how much CO2 you were giving.

Back